Thursday, September 18, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 09/17/14: Whole Foods Extravaganza!, Whole Foods Beer, Favorite Dinner

1.  Molly and David and I piled into the Diaz Honda Element and went shopping at Whole Foods.  It was (by our standards!) an extravaganza.  Molly and I got excited thinking about future dinners at home as we loaded the cart:  a spaghetti squash, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and other good food and then we turned our attention to this evening's meal.  More on that soon.

2.  I admit it.  My favorite Whole Foods offering is the coffee/beer bar where the taplist is low on quantity but very high on quality.  Molly, David (!), and I had time to sit with some food at the horseshoe counter and I ordered a terrific flight of four 5 oz beers:  Mad Fox's Kellerbier Kolsch (OMG!), Port City's Oktoberfest (ditto), Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale (moderately pumpkin-y, superb) and the brilliant dessert beer for today, Southern Tier's Pumpking Ale, as sweet and delicious as a pumpkin ale can be!  I had a pack of potato chips and then, wow!, David couldn't eat his whole slice of Whole Foods cheese pizza, so I got to finish it.  Very satisfying.  By the way, the great guy running the coffee/beer counter gave David a glass of milk on the house -- and, BONUS, we had a great conversation about some beers and he recommended I look for Southern Tier's pumpkin stout called Warlock.  My eyes will be peeled for it.  (This came up because I told Molly that one of the beers I will miss living in VA/MD is Eugene's own Oakshire Big Black Jack, a most tasty imperial chocolate pumpkin porter, weighing in at 7.5% ABV, as warming as a pile of autumn leaves being burnt in the street.)

3.  Is there anything Molly, the Deke, other members of our family (not here), and I enjoy more than a Ciabatta bread, fancy salami, kalamata olives, pepperoncini, brie, Irish cheddar, colby jack, and other cheese, crackers dinner?  How about getting ready for this meal with a fine bottle of Goose Island's exquisite Sofie farmhouse ale, or, if you're the Deke and Molly, splitting a sweet bottle of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale?  AND, at exactly the right moment, how about popping open a bottle of Pinot Noir?  Could any evening meal be better?  Well, for me, no!  At least not tonight!

No comments: