Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/10/15: Tuscan Chicken Stew, Dinner for the Children, Nilsson to Sleater-Kinney

1.  Here's what I enjoy about retirement:  After some recipe research, I landed on a chicken stew ("Tuscan Chicken Stew") and so spent much of the afternoon simmering a whole chicken in water and chicken broth and some vegetable broth, seasoning and simmering vegetables, letting the chicken cool, pulling the meat off the chicken and putting it together with the vegetables, straining it all through cheesecloth, and letting it all stew for a couple of hours.  The result was a soup that temporarily helped  Molly with her stuffed up nose, satisfied Hiram, and really pleased the Deke.  It was fun spending an afternoon making this meal, being able to send a container home with Molly, and having a container for ourselves here at home.

2.  I also pleased David and Olivia, our grandchildren.  All I had to do was peel an apple and cut it into pieces, slice a green pepper into lengths, and melt cheese between two warmed up tortillas.  I also poured the children some milk.

3.  Having purchased headphones yesterday allows me to go into a personal music pleasure zone without interfering with what the Deke is doing, and tonight my personal concert included "Jump into the Fire" by Harry Nilsson, "Taxi" by Harry Chapin, and a series of songs by the Oysterband and other trad/rock bands on the Oysterband Pandora channel.  I ended my evening in grand style looking at and listening to youtube videos of Sleater-Kinney over the years, a deep pleasure.

No comments: