Saturday, February 14, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/13/15: Njorour Outdoes Aeolus, Document Box, Unexpected Nostalgia

1.  Impatient with the futile efforst of Aeolus to keep me indoors yesterday, today Njorour, the Norse  God of sea, wind, fish, and wealth swooped into Greenbelt and with his seething and frigid exhalations of jealousy and rage, sent temperatures plummeting to near zero and not only outdid Aeolus, but succeeded in keeping me indoors, forcing my rational self to decide it was not a good day for walking.  Njorour tested my hubris and I triumphed rather than being transformed into a stiff, frozen corpse on the February tundra of the Greenbelt Lake trail.

2.  With our move from Oregon to Virginia to Maryland, documents related to our house sale have come flying through the mail to two different addresses and I sorely wanted to find one of those documents as I prepare to file our tax return and after much careful searching in our box of documents and files, I found it.  I might be one phone call shy of being ready to visit the tax prep. guy.  I'm eager to get this task done.

3.  The Deke and I piled a couple of bags each into the Subaru and squeezed ourselves onto the bumper to bumper cluster tangle of the Capitol Beltway and made our way slowly, but without incident, to Alexandria to spend the weekend with David and Olivia while Molly and Hiram travel to Pittsburgh to see Hiram's brother dance the role of the Beast in the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater production of Beauty and the Beast.  I haven't been to Groveton/Alexandria since I went to Kellogg and I sincerely enjoyed being back on Rt. 1 and seeing the familiar unbroken line of franchise businesses, strip malls, and big box outlets that defined so much of the two and a half months we lived in Groveton with Molly and Hiram.

No comments: