Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/09/15: Another Inspection, Shoppers Again, Stan Rogers Revisited

1.  I enjoy it when things that need to be done require that I go out into the bewildering maze of national and state and local routes and roads of the suburbanopolis where I live and learn more about getting around in this place I now live.  Ha!  It turns out that after I registered the Subaru back in October, I had three months to take it into a state emissions testing station to make sure the old Legacy wagon was not befouling the pristine air of the Old Line State.  This fact blew right by me, but I got a notice over the weekend that I needed to get this done.  I got on the google map, found the closest testing station down in the general Hyattsville metropolitan area and set off today, not taking the most efficient route, but the one I thought I'd learn the most from.  I meandered down MD 201 to MD 410 and made a left here and a couple of rights there and arrived, got right in and right out of the emissions testing station, after I paid a small fee and a penalty for being late.  I came back on MD 410 and mixed things up a little by returning to Greenbelt on the Baltimore Washington Parkway and continued to school myself on the difference between east and west when coming into Greenbelt off the BW Parkway, giving me the opportunity to see some areas traveling east on Greenbelt Rd. I hadn't seen before.

2.  The first grocery store I went to with Molly back in July was Shoppers in the Greater Alexandria suburbanolitan area and, today, I drove over to College Park to pick up some cords and headphones at Best Buy and the Best Buy is next to a Shoppers and I needed a few vegetables and broth for tonight's, as it turned out, out of sight Quick Red Thai Curry Soup, and so I shopped at Shopper's and enjoyed the friendly service our entire line received from Leatrice, the overworked, but cheerful checker.

3.  I used my new headphones to go down memory lane and listen to some stirring sea songs sung by Stan Rogers who was the unofficial minstrel laureate of Canada until he died in a jet plane accident back in 1983 at age 33.  I especially enjoyed listening to "The Mary Ellen Carter: and "Barrett's Privateers".  Here's the latter, in a scene taken from a documentary film of Stan Rogers' life entitled, "One Warm Line".  After an ad you can skip by Budweiser, you can hear Rogers talk about how he came to write "Barrett's Privateers" and then see and listen to a rousing version of it sung around a kitchen table.




No comments: