Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/24/15: Beltway Sludge, Great Stir Fry, Terrapins Defeat Badgers!

1.  It was time to drive to Groveton/Alexandria and pick up the dogs and bring them back.  I decided to wait until a little later in the morning to head out so I wouldn't be caught in the sludge of rush hour traffic.  So, what happened?  Some kind of road work closed two right hand lanes for a stretch of about seven miles and I got caught in the sludge of road construction traffic.  Ha!  You just never know what'll happen on the Capital Beltway.

2.  I found a recipe for Thai style stir fried tofu and basil.  Lately, fresh basil has been unavailable at the Co-op, so I was ready to substitute lemongrass and see how that worked, but, I lucked out today.  The Co-op had a generous stock of basil leaves.  I improvised a bit on the recipe -- green curry pasted instead of chili paste and I used peanut butter instead of crushed peanuts and green onions instead of shallots.  It all worked out great.  Both the Deke and I enjoyed this stir fried combo over brown rice.

3.  I went online and found the radio broadcast of the U. of Maryland's men's basketball's team huge game with the visiting Badgers of the U of Wisconsin and listened to it.   The Badgers sit atop the Big Ten standings. They had only lost twice this season and were ranked 5th in the nation.  The Maryland Terrapins, led by senior Dez Wells and freshman Melo Tremble jumped to an eleven point half time lead, held off the Badgers in the second half, played great in the final two minutes, and triumphed.  I had a great time swapping comments about the game, via text messaging, with the Byrdman back in CdA.  I'm starting to get a little more excited about living so close to College Park and getting into Maryland's teams.

No comments: