Thursday, February 5, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/04/15: Metro Stroll, Helpin' Out, Ratatouille Redux

1.  Here's how I roll:  I like to find out what I can first hand.  If possible, I like to find it out on the ground, not in a car.  So, as I have been figuring out local Metrobus schedules for getting from my apartment home to any number of places, I wondered today if the walk from our apartment home to the Greenbelt Metro Station is a safe one -- and, by safe, I mean with sidewalks.  So, I set out today and walked to the station.  Along the way, I discovered a Starbucks at the Marriott, good to know in an emergency.  I saw, for the first time, where the Greenbelt Cemetery is located, good to know for future photo strolls.  And, best of all, I discovered that I can walk to the Greenbelt Metro Station in about a half an hour, meaning that I can get a lot of my daily walk taken care of, that there are sidewalks all the way, and, by bus or by train, I can travel to any number of places in the Washington, D. C. metropolitan sprawl.  This was all good news.  (In fact, with my walk to the station and back and by doing a few small errands on foot, I tallied 9500 steps today.)

2.  On my way back to my apartment home from the Greenbelt Metro Station, a man stopped me.  He spoke little or no English, but he a Greenbelt Rd. address written on a small piece of paper and was trying to figure out where he was on his Smartphone.  I could not communicate to him that he was on Greenbelt Metro Drive (I have no idea how he got there) and was nearly two miles from Greenbelt Rd.  The best I could do was signal him to follow me to Cherrywood Lane.  At that juncture, I walked north, but I sent him south and mimed to him to walk a long way and turn left at Greenbelt Road. Now, with the help of his phone, he understood what lay before him, smiled broadly, thanked me, we shook hands, and went our separate ways.

3.  We didn't eat all the ratatouille I made last week so I froze it and tonight we had it brown rice and it was even better than it had been before.

No comments: