Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 04/17/15: Navigating Silver Spring, Gregg Toland's Pictures, Kao Thai Plates of Awesome

1.  I arrived in Silver Spring about an hour before Citizen Kane started at the AFI movie theater.  So I learned more about downtown Silver Spring and it was time spent well.  I used the Wayne Street Garage for the first time and it made a huge difference for my getting around downtown and learning my way around.  I'll leave it at that.  I can't quite explain what a big deal all this navigation and learning is to me.

2.  I sat in a 400 seat theater with two other people and watched a 2:10 showing of Citizen Kane.  I suppose it's only about the fourth time I've seen it, and I've never seen it since I bought the cameras I now own and started taking pictures.  The movie's photography stunned me.  I wish I'd had a pause button and could have frozen the screen many, many times to admire frames of Gregg Toland's black and white photography, his genius in creating a wide array of moods, visual moods that perfectly helped tell the movie's story.  Maybe, in past viewings, I was most taken by the story of Charles Foster Kane and its moral/political/social explorations.  Today, it was pictures that I marveled at, that made me want to watch the movie over and over again.

3. Across the street from the AFI movie theater is a Thai restaurant called Kao Thai and I dropped, after some more walking and figuring out of downtown Silver Spring, and purchased Drunken Noodles and Thai Spicy Eggplant, brought them back to our apartment home and the Deke and I found our food to be awesome.

No comments: