Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 04/06/15: Walking with Ted, Beer Lunch with Ted, Duke Wins

1.  Ted knows I like to get in a good walk every day I can, so he took me on an excellent walk (Bill and Ted's excellent walk) into downtown Metuchen, to First Pres. where Sally works part-time, and on back to the house again.  It was fun to see more of the town and even more fun to get better acquainted with Ted, who has lived in the borough of Metuchen for nearly his entire life.

2.  Not long after finishing our walk, Ted and I went back downtown for lunch at Hailey's Harp and Pub, a fine watering hole with sold food and a really good selection of beers.  For nostalgia's sake, I had a pint of the first craft beer I ever drank, Anchor Steam, and then had a couple of pints of Harp Lager and Guiness Stout, a favorite drink of mine.  It all went really well with the corn beef and hash topped by a fried egg I ordered.  Once again, Ted and I had great conversation and I got to learn more about his years on the Metuchen police force.

3.  It was a riveting game.  It had plenty of drama, plenty of lead changes, and plenty of exciting plays, but I found it painful to watch the final ticks of the clock as Duke defeated Wisconsin to win the men's NCAA basketball tournament.  It was fun during the game, as it had been during Saturday's games, to text observations back and forth with the Byrdman, especially since we were both pulling for Wisconsin.  But, Duke won and, to be honest, it turned out to seem inevitable to me. It was a fate I hated surrendering to.

No comments: