Saturday, June 24, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 06/23/17: Mom Update, Trip to Cd'A, On the Town with Ed

1.  For the first time since I arrived in Kellogg, I didn't spent much time with Mom today. I was in Coeur d'Alene much of the day. When I saw Mom around 3:00 or so this afternoon, she was with Paul and Zoe, sitting up in her wheelchair, tired, and ready to be taken home. She repeatedly said things like, "Are you ready?" and "Let's get this show on the road". She always let it go once any of us said we weren't going home. She'd been in her room all day, much of it sitting up. I thought Mom might like to go outside and look at flowers. Mom adamantly let me know she didn't. Shortly before four, Mom suddenly asserted that she want to change into her pajamas, so I buzzed for someone to come and change her. As she lay down, I asked Mom if she wanted Zoe and me to leave so she could have some time to herself and without pause she said, "Yes".  Christy returned around 7:15 and Mom sat up in her comfortable green chair. Christy and Mom visited for a bit and soon Mom wanted to return to bed for the night. During the day she had worked, in her room, with both her physical and occupational therapist and she ate a little bit of her lunch. All in all, from what I saw and after talking with Paul, Zoe, and Christy, today was a stable day for Mom.

2. I was up at 4 a.m. this morning. I drank coffee and puttered around for a while. I wasn't getting the WiFi signal from Christy's router so I took my Chromebook to McDonald's and enjoyed a cup of senior coffee and did my morning writing. On the way to McDonald's, I saw Ed's truck in the parking lot of Sam's Restaurant. He was waiting for his regular Friday morning breakfast crew to arrive and we shot the breeze for a few minutes. Around 7 or so, I drove to Le Peep in Cd'A, a.k.a. Breakfast Town, and met up with Stu, Byrdman, Jake, and Carol Lee for hearty plate of chicken fried steak, peasant potatoes, sourdough toast, and eggs over medium. We had a good session of yakkin' and got a few laughs in and really enjoyed ourselves. I then went to Kohl's to buy three short-sleeved shirts and to Costco to pick up a few things. I bought some Uncle Val's Botanical Gin and some George Dickel Rye Whiskey at the liquor store on Government Way near Appleway and before I left town I stopped to yak some more with Byrdman and enjoy a cold Dr. Pepper.

3. Back in Kellogg, after visiting Mom, I fixed Christy, Everett, and me baked fillets of tilapia resting on red onion slices with lemon slices on top. After dinner, Ed picked me up and we had a drink at Best Shots and then we went up to see Bob Casady, the owner and barkeep at the Inland Lounge. Byrdman was there. So was Dale Jacobs. It was fun to see Harley relaxing after another successful burger night across the street at the Elks club. Soon, Abby strolled in. I had a good talk with Cas about the years he spent caring for his ailing mother before she died. It was a solid evening at the Inland Lounge with guys I've known essentially my whole life.

No comments: