Sunday, May 5, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/04/19: Goose is Out of ICU, Biking to Pinehurst, Goose Tales at the Lounge

1. Janice's excitement seemed to make my cell phone shake when this text came flying in this morning on Saturday, May 4th:

After the docs were here today, they have put an order in for Kirk to be moved out of ICU. This is great news. He will be going to the 5th floor. They're waiting for a bed. Right now, as we speak, there isn't one, but they're hoping by later in the day that one will become available.

Then, at around 3:30, this message came in:

They just moved Kirk to room 558. Yeh!!

So, to recap:  on Friday, the doctors took Goose off of dopamine, oxygen, the IV, and the chemo.  The doctors are happy with his progress and his oncologist said things are hopeful, that the treatment went just as he wanted it to. Goose will have another bone marrow biopsy in one week to see if his system is producing cells.

Kirk's out of ICU.

Kirk and Janice very much appreciate everyone's support. Please continue to hold them in your prayers and keep sending positive thoughts their way.

2.  I had planned on taking a morning bicycle ride, but Janice's news came in and I also exchanged text messages with Adrienne regarding the trip to Kellogg she, Josh, and Jack are planning at the end of August.

Shortly before 1:00, I mounted my Trek machine and pedaled on the Trail of the CdAs to a bench on the western edge of Smelterville, took a rest and drank some water, and then resumed my outing by pedaling to the Pinehurst Golf Course. Before long, Byrdman arrived and we enjoyed a couple of cans of Ten Barrel Brewing's very tasty mango margaritas and served ourselves at the taco bar.

Jake, Carol Lee, Bucky, and Debbie finished playing their round of golf and joined Byrdman and me on the patio for some good yakking and, when it came time to leave, I loaded my Trek into Jake's pickup and he and Carol Lee gave me a ride home.

3. I took care of Charly and then went uptown to meet up again with Carol Lee and Jake at the Lounge. Cas, Jake, Carol Lee and I had Goose on our minds. We were all encouraged that his news has been positive and soon some of the classic Goose stories began to fly, and, as Jake and Cas told them, we all marveled that everyone survived the goofy stuff Goose, Dogfoot, Jake, Louie, Hog, Schnotzy, Lars, and others used to do. I've heard these stories scores of times and they never get old. I missed out on all of these road trips, wrestling matches, January canoe trips, and other spur of the moment shenanigans, but I never tire hearing about them.


No comments: