Friday, May 24, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/23/19: More Great Time with LCC Friends, Billy Mac's Before Hours, Neil Young

1. I arrived at Sparky's house around 9:21 this morning and she and Joe and I sat down to a terrific breakfast of eggs and link sausage. Sparky and I fell right into easy conversation about the theater, Sparky's many projects, people we know, and any number of other things. I hated to leave after two hours of solid gold yakking, but I had more great conversation in my immediate future.

I drove out to LCC. As much as I loved LCC for the twenty-five years I worked there, being back on the grounds and in the Center Building didn't stir me, but meeting up with Linda in the division office did. We embraced and quickly toured the transformed second floor before piling into the Sube and rocketed over the 30th Avenue hill and made a soft landing in the parking lot at Turtles. Dan Armstrong had secured a table for the three of us and we sat down to a solid lunch and nearly two hours of solid gold yakking.

2. I drove Linda back to LCC and bolted straight to Billy Mac's. Derrick had invited me to stop in before Billy Mac's opened so I could see Cathy and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. It was awesome. Cathy took time away from her bookkeeping duties and Derrick did some impressive multi-tasking as he worked on getting the joint ready to open, and we yakked away, got caught up on things, and had some very satisfying belly laughs. Derrick fixed me a cucumber gin and tonic that was perfectly satisfying.

3. Shortly after six o'clock, Jeff and I jumped on bicycles and whizzed along the Willamette River to the University of Oregon campus, locked up the bikes, and entered the Matthew Knight Arena for tonight's Neil Young and Promise of the Real show.

It was absolutely awesome.

Kenyan singer J. S. Ondara opened the show with a soulful and beautifully written and sung set of acoustic songs.

Neil Young worked his way through a handful of acoustic songs, the first two on piano and the rest on guitar, and then Promise of the Real joined him and before long they and Neil Young played a sonic set featuring thrilling jams, with special attention to the growling and soaring majesty of Neil Young himself on the electric guitar. Jeff and I were both blown away by the strength and clarity of Neil Young's voice. I was electrified not only by his stamina, but by his enthusiasm as he got down and jammed and plod-danced all over the stage. If you've seen Neil Young or watched him rock live on YouTube, you know how he always turns to his fellow musicians, bends at the waist as he listens to them and jams, and how he loves to plod with heavy steps from one part of the stage to another.

I didn't know I could love watching and listening to Neil Young more than I had in the past. But, I'd never seen him live before and tonight my love for his work and my admiration for his versatility, playing, and singing absolutely swelled.

What a night.

If you'd like to see the setlist, it's right here.

No comments: