Sunday, May 19, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/18/19: Driving to Portland, Slaughterhouse India Red Ale, Dinner at the Stillhouse

1. My drive to Portland was easy. The traffic was light, the skies were gray, and visibility was terrific. I didn't think I could enjoy Pink Floyd's Wishing You Were Here more than I have in the past, but I experienced a higher love for that album today. Likewise, Tom Petty's Wildflowers. It was especially fun to listen to Wildflowers after I had listened to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast episode discussing the album on his show, Broken Records.  It's right here. I settled down after a burger at C & D Drive-In and listened to the Emerson String Quartet play Beethoven.

2. Upon arrival at the Turner's home in Gladstone, Terry offered me a Slaughterhouse an India Red Ale from Payette Brewing, a superbly balanced beer with a strong malt backbone that helped smooth out its hop content and slightly higher alcohol content. I always enjoy red ales and this one was superb.

3. After relaxing for a while, Terry, Nancy, and I headed over to Oregon City for dinner at the Highland Stillhouse, one of my favorite spots anywhere. I didn't want to drink much, so I ordered a half pint of one of my favorite beers, England's premium bitter, Old Speckled Hen. This beer triggers some of my favorite memories, especially going to the now shuttered ChipShop on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, once with Scott Shirk, and enjoying this beer and their heavenly fish and chips. I also had another great experience with Old Speckled Hen at the West 11th location of the Bier Stein back in September of 2012 when a gentile British bloke heard me order the beer and said to me, "I see you're a man who knows his beer" and gave me a quick lecture on the differences between English and Pacific Northwest hops.  I wrote about this encounter, here.

I savored my half pint of Old Speckled Hen and dove into my half order of fish and chips. They were superb. I loved being back at the Stillhouse.

No comments: