Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/14/19: Visiting Goose, Debrief, Blazers' Hangover

1.  Shortly after eight this morning, Cas, Stu, Byrdman, and I piled into Cas' rig and rocketed to Missoula to visit Goose.  Kirk was alert. He knows what's going on with his condition and his treatment. We were in his room for just over an hour. He tracked our conversations and contributed a lot. Kirk can't really speak above a whisper. He looked tired, drawn, and weak. We might have overstayed a bit and left when we did because Kirk was fading and needed to get back to sleep.

Kirk had a bone marrow biopsy performed last week and, as I write this, I haven't received any news about the results. As soon as Janice relays that news to me, I will get it out.

2.  The ride over to Missoula and back was fun. The four of us had plenty of tales to tell along with discussing our concerns about Goose and our hopes for him. When we left the hospital, we bulleted straight to Five Guys and debriefed over our fine burgers. Because Goose's voice is so faint right now, we helped each other piece together different things he had to say, making sure we all heard him the same and helping one another fill in blanks when any one of us hadn't been able to hear him at all. 

3. Back in Kellogg, I brought Charly back home. She had a very good day at Carol's, much of it out in the yard while Carol gardened. Once home, I invented a meal and, while I prepared it, connected my tablet to my smart speaker, put on the Blazer game via the ESPN app, and watched and listened to the Warriors dismantle Portland with sharp shooting and a harassing defense. The Blazers might have been sluggish in the aftermath of their epic game 7 win against Denver on Sunday -- known of as a hangover --, so I hope they will get refreshed and play better on Thursday.

No comments: