Friday, May 3, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/02/19: No Update, Yellow Curry Vegetable Soup, Maggie is Home

1. If I hear any news about Kirk, I'll get the word out, but I don't have any right now.

2. First, I cooked up a chopped onion, chopped celery, and a generous half finger or so of minced ginger.  Second, I acted as if I were making curry sauce: a plug of yellow curry paste, a can of coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and a slug of peanut butter. But, I wasn't making sauce, I was making soup. I added chopped cauliflower and broccoli, let it simmer for a while and then I added a can of chicken broth and the juice of half a lime.  I simmered this thinned out mixture until the vegetables were tender.  I loved the result. The soup was both creamy and broth-y, the heat was powerful enough that I had to blow my nose a couple of times while eating. For balance, I got the saltiness and sweetness just about right and underneath it all were hints of peanut. I wish I'd remembered to buy cilantro. I imagined other ingredients like green beans, chicken, or shrimp that would have worked well, too. If I'd added rice, that also would have tasted good. It's fun and satisfying to experiment with Thai curry paste and the other ingredients and make stuff up without a recipe.

3.  Maggie is home, in an urn, placed where she can keep an eye on what's happening in the living room and out the window.

No comments: