Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/06/19: Morning of Podcasts, Bicycle Ride, The Turners Arrive

1. All morning long I listened to podcasts, no matter what I was doing -- writing, making and drinking coffee, putting dishes away, everything. A little while ago, Scott Shirk, knowing that I had listened to the Slow Burn podcast about Watergate, recommended that I listen to Bag Man, Rachel Maddow's long form multi-episode podcast about the fall of Spiro Agnew. You can find the episodes here. It's chilling and fascinating.  Then I discovered the podcast Shakespeare Unlimited, here, a project of the Folger Shakespeare Library, and listened to several fascinating episodes about subjects ranging from the growth of London in the 16th century to the Astor Place riot of 1849, in which over twenty people were killed while rioting over two productions of Macbeth to Shakespeare's exploration of how tyrants come into power.

2. I continued my efforts to increase my bicycle riding stamina and took a ride out to Elizabeth Park and back after I bicycled around Sunnyside a bit, covering very old and familiar ground, routes I used to follow as a kid riding my bicycle in Kellogg as many as fifty-seven years ago.

3. In the middle of the afternoon, Terry and Nancy Turner arrived. After yakking for a little while, Terry and I split a couple Imperial Stouts, the noble Waves of Silence from Ft. George and the deep and mysterious bourbon barrel-aged Super Nebula from Block 15. Debbie brought these beers, and many more, to Kellogg back in March. I do not enjoy drinking these beers alone. My friends who live in the Silver Valley don't enjoy these beers, so I was stoked to join Terry as a beer drinking partner and to relish these beers. By about 5:30, we headed up to Radio Brewing for dinner and returned home where Christy joined us for an eveningcap: Terry, Nancy, and I each slowly sipped a short pour of Glenlivet 12 single malt scotch and Christy enjoyed a gin and tonic made with Uncle Val's Botanical Gin.

No comments: