Monday, May 27, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/26/19: Memorial Service for Goose, St. Mary's and Patrick's Birthday, Beer and Irish Music and Whiskey

1. This afternoon, I received the following update from Janice:

We have set Saturday, June 1, at 5:00 (Idaho time) for Kirk's service. It will be held at the Elks Club in Kellogg. 

2.  The Troxstar and I met at St. Mary's Episcopal Church this morning for the 8:00 service. I hadn't participated in a Rite One Eucharist for several years and the poetry and rhythms of this liturgy were inspiring and enjoyable. I was particularly struck by a very old school way the 1928 Book of Common Prayer described the elements of communion as "thy gifts and creatures of bread and wine".  All day long, I contemplated that phrase "creatures of bread and wine" and came to realize, at a minimum, that the word "creatures" refers to the fact that the elements are created. I liked that phrase a lot.

After church, I walked about a mile to the 5th Street Public Market and joined Patrick (on his 35th birthday), Meagan, and Debbie for breakfast at Provisions. When I came to Eugene last Sunday, I was not expecting to see Patrick and Meagan three times, but I got to and I loved it.

3. I walked back to Jeff's, got some rest, and then hit the pavement again for some more walking and took kind of a circuitous route to Oakshire Brewing where Debbie and I met for a beer. She left to take the teenager she's helping out this weekend back home from her art class and I strolled some familiar territory through the Whiteaker neighborhood to Sam Bond's Garage.

Debbie and I met up again and listened to a collection of fiddlers, guitarists, flautists, harpists, penny whistlers, banjo players, and others play Irish music at the Sunday Irish Jam. Debbie hopped up a couple or three times and joined in on the piano. The jam also included Glenn Falkenberg, a master of the hammered dulicmer. I suddenly realized, to my astonishment, that I'm sure I first heard Glenn Falkenberg play when I moved to Eugene in 1979 -- meaning, of course, that I've listened to him for forty years now.

In the same vein, I was suddenly struck by my many memories of great times at Sam Bond's garage. It opened in 1995 and I thought back to all music I've enjoyed here, including, Babes with Axes and other configurations of the band, Laura Kemp, Bill Davie, Jim Page, many bluegrass and Irish jams, great jazz shows, Fiddlin' Big Sue, and many others. It's been open for twenty-four years now. My God.

Debbie and I decided, as the Irish jam was ending, that an evening cap at the Pint Pot would be fun, so we took seats at the bar and each enjoyed a whiskey. Before long, we were joined by two vibrant young people, Erica and Kyle, and we yakked for a while about their upcoming trip to D. C. and NY City and what they might expect. It was really fun.

Today was a great walking day again. I logged over 8000 steps and around four miles.


No comments: