Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/27/19: Breakfast with Debbie, Invigorating Music and Conversations, Dinner with Debbie

1. Carol approved. Jeff approved. I stayed another extra day in Eugene. Debbie and I met for breakfast at Brails on 5th Street after AAA rescued the Sube keys I locked in the car. My breakfast was perfect: two runny poached eggs dropped on top of a bowl of grits and cheese.

2. Back at Jeff's, we listened to a bunch of great music, including the Grateful Dead and later John Prine and we introduced ourselves to a bluegrass group playing out of Eugene, Caitlin Jemma and the Goodness. After listening and yakking for a while, Jeff went to visit a friend who is ill and I strolled down to the Tap and Growler and yakked with The Troxstar for an hour and a half or so. We kept an eye on the Boston Red Sox thumping Cleveland and had a really good time.

At 4:00, The Troxstar and I moseyed over to Perugino where I met up with Michael McDonald and said farewell to The Troxstar.  I haven't had a one to one conversation with Michael for quite a while and I was very happy that we could get together. We had the kind of talk we have launched into so often over the years -- we talked about retirement, the old days at LCC, music, Michael's robust creative life, our adult children, and one of our favorite subjects, the plays and sonnets of William Shakespeare. We both taught the Shakespeare course at LCC at different times and this conversation revived old talks we'd had and broke a lot of new ground. I have things on my mind these days about Shakespeare that were not on my mind when I was at LCC and it was invigorating to have such conversation with Michael today.

3. Michael dropped me off at Cornucopia where I met Debbie. We have a lot on our minds about wanting to spend time in Kellogg, Eugene, and the East Coast and are figuring out how we might make it work to spend time in all three places. We haven't nailed down anything specific yet, but we want to be with friends and family in all three places and are doing our best to figure out ways to do it.

No comments: