Saturday, May 11, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/10/19: Goose Update: Biopsy and Out of ICU, Bicycling to Big Creek, *Baseball Tonight* and Trivia

1.  Janice sent out two updates about Goose yesterday:

- Today is Friday (May 10th), and Kirk had his 2nd bone marrow biopsy. We won't know the results until early next week, but the doctor said things went well. Kirk seems to be doing pretty good today. Will keep you posted.

- Kirk got moved out of ICU and is now in Rm 537.

2. For now, each time I ride my bicycle, I am extending the length of my ride. Today, I rode down Mission Street and veered off onto Sunset and took a tour of Elder Street. I rode on Division to the Trail of the CdA's and pedaled to Big Creek and then back home. When I ride along the CdA River, even though it's 2019, my eyes think it's 1969. I expect to see the gray Lead Creek of my youth. I continue to be surprised by the clarity of the Cd'A River, by spots on the river with white rapids, and by the presence of water fowl. Honestly, I don't know how clean the water is in 2019, but just seeing the rocks on river's bottom is a stark contrast to the river I knew as a kid.

3. Before we moved, I listened to podcasts mostly through ear buds, whether via my cell phone, tablet, or laptop.  Last year, when I bought the smart speaker and the Echo, I could access podcasts through Alexa's TuneIn Radio option, but its search function is clumsy and inefficient, even discouraging. But, this week, when I made the effort to figure out how to use my smart speaker with my cell phone, it meant that I could access podcasts via the much more agile Podbean app.

It's been awesome. My podcast world has expanded again and I can fill the house with the sounds of stories about, among other things, Shakespeare, U. S. history, cooking, and, ah!, baseball.

When I bought a smart TV about a year ago, I discovered that ESPN television no longer telecasts its great nightly program, Baseball Tonight. This week, however, I finally figured out that Baseball Tonight is now a podcast and, so, once the latest episode appears (this is, by the way, unpredictable), I can fill the house with Buster Olney and his staff recounting what happened on the day before and, even better, listen to interviews.

For example, today Buster Olney interviewed the Chicago writer, Ron Rappaport. Rappaport recently published a biography of Ernie Banks, Let's Play Two, The Legend of Mr. Cub, The Life of Ernie Banks. In the course of the interview, Rappaport discussed how plagued Ernie Banks felt by never having played in a World Series. For several years, Banks was the only major league player elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility not to have played in a World Series.

If you enjoy baseball trivia, there are now four players who were elected on their first ballot, but never played in a World Series:

1. Ernie Banks
2. Rod Carew
3. Ken Griffey, Jr.
4. Frank Thomas



No comments: