Friday, May 10, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 05/09/19: Goose's Better Day: An Update, Shakespeare and Baseball, Charly's Spa Day

1. This afternoon, on Thursday, May 8th, Janice sent the following update about Goose:

Kirk's having a much better day today. They have taken him off the medication, except they are still giving him blood products. He's sleeping a lot, and still doesn't have much of an appetite. But getting the sleep is the best thing for him.

2.  I cleaned up a few areas of dead plant material in the front and back yards and I turned on the sprinkler system and tested it, giving the yard that has begun to get dry a drink of water. While I worked on things around the house, moving paint to the basement, doing laundry, cleaning up the kitchen, and other things, I listen to more Shakespeare Unlimited podcast episodes and, before long, today's game between the Mariners and Yankees.

Later, I returned to reading Helen Vendler's The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets. Reading her work is deepening my experience with and my understanding of the sonnets, but her work is so dense and so beyond my own thinking that, at this point, I cannot convey what I'm learning. I don't have words for it and I'm hoping that, in time, I will become conversant with Vendler's work to such a degree that I can write or talk about it.

3.  Shortly after 11 this morning, the vet's office called to say that a grooming slot just opened up because of a no show. I immediately gathered up Charly and she got to spend about four hours at the spa getting her nails trimmed, her coat trimmed, and a fresh shampoo. She looks splendid and seemed very happy to get cleaned up.

No comments: