Thursday, March 10, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-09-2022: New Diet for Luna and Copper, Afternoon Beer at the Lounge, Audio Help with *The Songlines*

1. When Luna had her blood work and a urinalysis done, Dr. Cook discovered that (like me!) her kidneys are beginning to weaken. So, today, I dropped in at the vet's office and bought cat food specially made for cats with kidney disease. Past experience has familiarized me with kidney disease in aging cats so, since Copper is also an older cat, I will feed both of them this new food. I'll take Luna back at the end of April for a follow up blood screening.

2. I've been hanging out in the house a lot lately working on finding contacts and making contact with Class of 72 classmates about our reunion, watching movies, reading, writing in this blog, watching basketball games, and doing other things I enjoy a lot indoors. 

Today I got out. Ha!

I went to the vet. I recycled cardboard at the transfer station. I mailed a package at the post office. After the post office, I was cruising down McKinley and saw Cas's Lipstick Edition Lincoln parked across from the Lounge. I figured he was getting some work done and I dropped in. Doug Y. had evidently also seen Cas's car. He was at the bar. Later Roger (last name?) joined us. 

It was fun drinking a couple bottles of the Champagne of Bottled Beer and listening to tall tales and doing a little yakkin' myself. In these situations, I always come up short when it comes to having tales to tell. I guess I could tell about times I read the Old Testament lesson at St. Mary's or the good days of teaching Shakespeare and World Lit at LCC or about appearing in plays at LCC, but somehow my good old days don't seem to fit in very well with the good old days stories the other guys tell, so I just quietly listen, enjoy, and learn more about what was going on around Kellogg all those years that I didn't live here. 

It's all good.

3. About a month ago, I started reading Bruce Chatwin's book, The Songlines. It's a lyrical work of non-fiction, with fiction blended into it, but, for some reason, I was having trouble staying focused while I read it. 

So, I downloaded an audio copy of the book and this evening I went back to the beginning of the book and listened to it while I read.

It was a perfect move. 

Hearing the music of Chatwin's prose read to me helped me keep focused and enjoy the rich details of his writing more. I'm looking forward to continuing on and in another post I'll write a little more concerning what The Songlines is about. 

No comments: