Thursday, March 24, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-23-2022: Job Scheduled, Quick CdA Trip, More Bob Dylan Podcasts

1. Our home will have a new heating/cooling system on May 19th. I got that scheduled today.

2.  With the regular tires switched back onto the Camry, I needed to drive fifty to a hundred miles and then have the wheels retorqued at Silver Valley Tires.  I shopped at Fred Meyer in Cd'A. Now I have a new pair of slippers, a container to store unused cat litter, and snacks for our drive to Portland on Friday. I filled up the gas tank. I usually have a beer in CdA, but today I wanted to get back home and didn't treat myself. 

3.  On my way to Cd'A and part way back, I listened to the 07-01-2021 episode of Hard Rain and Slow Trains: Bob Dylan and His Fellow Travelers entitled, "The Poetry of Bob Dylan". Dylan himself distinguishes between song writing and poetry writing, resisting the idea that his songs are poetry. Hearing host Dan Mackay quote Dylan's musings about this distinction stimulated me. I very much enjoyed spending an hour in the Camry hearing Dylan, Dan, and people Dan knows (including Jeff Harrison) read selections of Bob Dylan's poems. It was all new to me.  I know I didn't absorb it all -- but, it's a start. 

Later, I gathered up Copper and Luna and once we got settled into bed, I listened to another Hard Rain and Slow Trains episode. It aired on 10-22-2020 and was part two of a multi-episode series called "All Those Who've Sailed with Me"and featured Dylan's bands over the decades. This episode featured bands from 1975-81 and featured music from Little Feat and also the Alpha Band. Once again, this podcast took me into new territory, introduced me to music I was unfamiliar with. It also got me thinking more about and reading up a little bit on Bob Dylan's trilogy of Christian albums recorded from 1979-81, especially as I listened to Dylan's song, "Saved" from his album of the same name. 

Hearing "Saved" got me thinking that one of these days I think I'll listen to these three Christian albums. Up until now, I've completely ignored them. 

No comments: