Sunday, March 27, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-26-2020: Out the Door, "Series of Dreams", Bliss at Patrick and Meagan's

 1.  Our old age, inertia, slowness, indecision, and fear of forgetfulness came into play this morning as it took Debbie and me until 10:30 or so to finally feel like we had what we wanted packed and had the house clean enough to leave. But we did it! We hit the road. (And I had intended to bring my vaccination card, just in case, since I plan to go to a concert April 2 in Eugene -- but I forgot it and Christy will send me a picture of it.)

2. We stopped at Ritzville Starbucks for coffee and gathered our wits for a few minutes. From Ritzville to Kennewick, we listened to Thursday night's episode of  Hard Rain and Slow Trains. Dan Mackay focused the entire show on Bob Dylan's song "A Series of Dreams". The song recorded for but not included on Oh Mercy, but later appeared on Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 and on Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume 3

Dan explored the structure of the song's lyrics, which didn't remain stable, played several musicians covering the song, and played different versions of Bob Dylan's performance of the song, both recorded and live. 

I'd never heard or listened to "Series of Dreams" before and the more I heard it, the more I enjoyed it and drove across down US 395 and across I-182 and then I-82 very happy that Dan selected this song for March's version of "May Your Song Always Be Sung". 

3. After a gorgeous drive along the Columbia River, the humps across the river coming slowly alive with pale green growth, we arrived at Meagan and Patrick's apartment and enjoyed a superb night! 

I was barely in the house before I got to SAVE THE PORTER! I set down my bags and popped open a bottle of Nut Crusher Peanut Butter Porter from Free Ride Brewing poured into a glass -- and I liked it a lot!

Before long, Patrick put his mad skills at the Vitamix machine to work and blended us all a most delicious blood orange margarita. (And later, a second orange one.) 

We listened to songs, old and new by Bob Dylan, yakked, and before long a food delivery arrived.  

It was a thick, perfectly baked sausage, ricotta, calabrian chili, aged mozzarella, red sauce, pecorino Romano, basil square Sicilian-style pizza from Ranch Pizza nearby.  We also had a radicchio Caesar salad to share and we all were transported into a blissful state by the pizza and the masterfully mixed margaritas. Our conversations were stimulating and compelling and we enjoyed a flawless evening together. 

By the way, I love Patrick and Meagan's apartment --it's roomy, handsomely appointed, comfortably furnished, and a very easy place to be. 



No comments: