Sunday, March 13, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-12-2022: Lunch at Capone's, Byrdman and a Beer Mission at Growler Guys, On the Road with Jeff and Dan

 1. Debbie and I like to have a plentiful stash of double and triple IPAs (hazy if possible) on hand in the icebox, but, to our knowledge, no one in the Silver Valley sells these beers. So, from time to time, I go to Pilgrim's in CdA and stock up and I had fun doing that today. I'd planned to have a late breakfast at the Breakfast Nook before I shopped for beer, but discovered it's a weekday cafe now, closed on weekends. 

So I sauntered into Capone's in Midtown, bellied up to the bar, and ordered a MickDuff's La Cervezas. It didn't quite taste right to me and, after about three sips, I figured out why: I like Cervezas beers with lime. So, I requested lime, squeezed it in my beer, and that simple move completed the beer's taste profile (for me) and the beer tasted really good with my Swiss cheese burger and fries.

2. I had fun selecting beer at Pilgrim's. I talked to Paige, whom I used to yak with when she worked at Radio (she works at Pilgrim's now). I also picked up some Bitchin' Sauce and some produce. I then headed over to Growler Guys, not only to have a couple of beers, but to text Byrdman and see if he wanted to join me. 

He did.

I had a mission at Growler Guys. I knew they had pFriem's Hazy Triple IPA on tap, so I ordered a 10 oz pour, knowing if I thought it was pretty good that later I'd order a crowler to take home. I liked it and I ordered a crowler.

Byrdman and I yakked about college hoops and he told me about all the people he saw at Larry Ross's memorial and the get together afterward at Noah's Loft. It was a great session, worthy of a second beer.

When I returned to the counter to order, I wanted to come down the ladder a ways and not have another high octane 3IPA.

I ordered an 8 oz pour of Golden Ale from Zolupez Beer Company in Ogden, UT. 

It tasted unlike any Golden Ale I'd ever drunk. It was lemon-y with a mango presence. 

Turns out Zolupez Beer Company makes both Golden Ale and IPA in the cerveza style. I discovered this when I looked up Zolupez Beer Company online. 

So, I'm most familiar with cervezas as a kind of lager beer.  Little did I know that there was such a thing as a Cerveza Golden Ale and I'm really happy that I wanted a lighter beer to finish at Growler Guys and ordered this one. The lemon peel presence in this beer made squeezing lime juice in it unnecessary. 

3. Debbie and I drive the Camry mostly as a road car and since I was hitting the open road (!) to travel between Kellogg and CdA today, I traveled in style in our new car.

I can do some in-car listening in the Camry that is not possible in the Sube.

So, I plugged my cell phone into the Camry sound system and went to the archive of KEPW-FM and listened to the last hour of Jeff Harrison's Deadish show from March 9th. Jeff played all Steve Kimock music over that last hour and I loved listening to it again.

So far, on Hard Rain and Slow Trains, Dan has put together three episodes built around musicians Bob Dylan played most often on his Theme Time Radio Hour show (2006-09). 

I had listened to Dan's third installment at home and, today, as I journeyed back to Kellogg, I listened to his second installment. I didn't quite finish it on the road, but after meeting Debbie and having some Chinese food at The Lounge, I returned home, listened to the rest of that show and then listened to the first such episode Dan produced. 

I think Dan's idea is ingenious. He builds his Theme Time shows around the musicians Dylan played most often on his radio program. Dan plays bits from Theme Time of Dylan talking about each musician, of introducing them, and then Dan plays songs by those musicians that Dylan did not play. 

I really hope Dan will return producing more Theme Time episodes, episodes he calls "Maybe She'll Pick Him Out Again".  

I haven't heard them all, but I loved ever hour of Theme Time Radio Hour I listened to and I've had a blast listening to how Dan so inventively created the three episodes (so far) focused on Dylan's show. 


No comments: