Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-28-2022: Spielman Bagels, Accidental Portland Tour, Four Hours of *Deadish*

 1. Debbie and I just don't make solid plans. So it's hard for me to say that plans change. That said, we thought we'd be in Eugene by now, but we aren't! We will leave Wednesday morning (well, at least that's the "plan"). As a result, we stayed at Patrick and Meagan's today, relaxing.

This morning, I drove about ten minutes away to Spielman Bagels. I love bagel shops. Hardly a day goes by that I don't wish I lived near one in Kellogg and I often indulge in nostalgic memories of going to the Bagel Bakery in Eugene (until it closed) and to Bagel Place in College Park, MD (now also closed). The Spielman shop on Division St SE is perfect. It's got a natural wood feel. It's not slick looking. It's not like out of The Jetson's. It's not metallic. Maybe in recent times we'd say it has a hipster feel to it -- I prefer to think of it as feeling down to earth, not fancy, youthful, but inviting to old people like me -- in short, I liked the vibe a lot.

I ordered a blueberry bagel with a thin spread of cream cheese and a coffee and sat at one of several outdoor tables and blissed out. I also bought bagels to go: a couple everythings, a sesame, and a plain along with a half pint of Spielman cream cheese. 

I'll return on Tuesday.

2. On my drive home, I spaced out the left hand turn on Milwaukie SE to return to the apartment. I sighed, told myself just to enjoy wherever the streets of Portland led from this point forward, and went on about a 40-50 minute drive. I accidentally drove downtown on 4th St. SW and observed some of the effects of Portland's nights of protest and property damage in the summer of 2020. I drove into Chinatown, crossed the Steel Bridge, made my way to 99E and eventually wound my way back to the corner of Powell Blvd SE and Milwaukie SE and delivered the carry out bagels to Debbie and Patrick.

3. Debbie and I both napped this afternoon and we retired for the night early in the evening. I had a great time napping with Jeff Harrison's March 24th edition of Deadish playing through my ear buds. I listened to the whole two hours again when I retired for the night later on. He featured the music of Dave Bromberg for the first hour. I loved it. The second hour featured selections from the Grateful Dead's 03-24-1973 show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.  Jeff's played "Here Comes Sunshine", "Playing in the Band", "Dark Star", among other songs. It was a really enjoyable hour of great songs and some wonderful jamming.

I fully expect I'll return to this episode of Deadish again night after night to help me fall into a relaxed and blissful sleep.

No comments: