Monday, March 28, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-27-2022: Breakfast with Bones, Blowouts on TV, LoRell's Chicken Shack

1. I went through my morning routine and then bolted out the door and rocketed in the Camry a couple of miles or so south of Patrick and Meagan's place and met up with Terry Turner for a delicious breakfast at Harney Street Cafe. I ordered a breakfast special: sausage gravy eggs Benedict, served on two flaky, perfectly baked biscuit halves with home fried potatoes and fresh fruit. Terry had never been to this cafe, liked the looks of the menu, and I'm here to say he made an outstanding choice and we ate most enjoyable food and did some top notch yakkin'.

2. Next move: go to Terry's house and settle in to watch Kansas play Miami and North Carolina play St. Peter's. We also kept an eye on the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play golf tournament.

Terry served me two excellent beers: a really tasty and well-balanced pale ale from 10 Barrel Brewing called Reel Good Ale and Terry contributed to my campaign to SAVE THE PORTER when we split a bottle of excellent porter from Ancestry Brewing.

We had a great time yakking. As far as basketball and golf went, though, it was a blow out day. Kansas came out of the locker room at half time and crushed Miami, 76-50 and, from the get go, North Carolina dominated St. Peter's and defeated them, 69-49. If we wished for a little more suspense in the golf match between Scott Scheffler and Kevin Kisner, Scheffler dashed those hopes. Scheffler immediately put Kisner in a deep hole and cruised to a 4&3 victory and, by doing so, became the top-ranked golfer in the whole wide world.

3. I left Terry's around 3:30 and met Debbie, Patrick, and Meagan at the Foster Road Food Truck/Cart pod. It was a gorgeous time to eat out of doors. The temperature was perfectly mild and quite a few of the trucks/carts were open for business. I came into the pod hungry for chicken. My first choice would have been chicken and yakisoba noodles at a food truck that was closed, but soon I found LoRell's Chicken Shack and ordered a special: five chicken tenders prepared Chicago style with fries. I'm not sure what Chicago style is, but these tenders were awesome: crunchy exterior, juicy tender meat inside, and the pieces were dressed with a hot sauce. I ordered a mild hot sauce and that was just right for me! The fresh cut fries were really tasty, too.

Back at the apartment, I took a refreshing nap and, not long after I woke up, lo and behold, Patrick fixed another batch of blended margaritas and I enjoyed a couple of them and joined in with everyone else for an evening of Steely Dan, stories, smart aleck quips, laughter, and a fun evening together before going to sleep for the night. 



No comments: