Friday, March 25, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-24-2022: Chicken Fried Steak, Arkansas Hounds and Defeats the Zags, Focus and Memory

1. I rocketed the Sube over to CdA and back mostly to put over fifty miles on the tires that had just been put on the car.  I dined at the Breakfast Nook and satisfied a hankering I had for a chicken fried steak and hash browns, neither of which I'd eaten for months. I made a quick trip to Pilgrim's Market to return plastic six and four can beer holders and to buy some dried apricots. I returned to Kellogg, got the wheels retorqued, and when I got back home I took a luxury nap, the perfect follow up to that chicken fried steak and hash browns. 

2. Around 4:00 I settled in to watch Gonzaga play Arkansas in their Sweet Sixteen NCAA men's basketball tournament game. Arkansas defeated the Zags, 74-68. I observed two primary keys to Arkansas' success. First, Arkansas played muscular and swarming defense. I was particularly impressed with the way the Razorbacks' Au'Diese Toney defended Andrew Nembhard. That the harassed Nembhard couldn't (or didn't) hit his floaters from in the key and then stopped even getting into the key to take that shot eliminated an important facet of the Zags' offense. In fact, Arkansas pretty much took Nembhard and his running mate Rasir Bolton out of the game. Combined, Nembhard and Bolton only made 5 of 21 shots and only contributed fifteen points. Arkansas devised a game plan that I read about to suppress Gonzaga's guards and carried it out most effectively. Arkansas' defense executed another strategy the team has been carrying out all season. They planted defenders in front of Zags driving to the basket and absorbed offensive fouls, significantly disrupting Gonzaga's offensive schemes.  

I thought the other key to the game was that Arkansas got Chet Holmgren in foul trouble. He only played 23 minutes and fouled out of the game. I've read some analysts and Zags' fans question at least a couple of the foul calls on Holmgren. I don't comment -- ever -- on officiating and don't have anything to say about those calls. All I have to say is that I thought the amount of time Holmgren had to spend on the bench hurt Gonzaga. 

3. I spend more and more time these days trying to get out in front of my forgetfulness and trying to stay focused.  Debbie and I are getting ready to travel to Portland and Eugene and the only anxiety I feel about this trip is that I'll forget to pack something. I made a list today of what I want to take with me, hoping I didn't forget to list anything. I started packing and put my medicine in my suitcase first thing so I won't forget it. Now I just hope I remember where I put the list as I return to getting myself organized and ready to go.


No comments: