Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-15-2022: Chillin' at the Turf Club, Yakkin' with Lars at Bolo, Checkin' Out Stormin' Norman's

 1. I hopped into the Camry, plugged a downloaded file of Terry Gross interviewing Masha Gessen on a recent Fresh Air episode into the sound system, and blasted over the hill to Coeur d'Alene, gassed up the car at Costco, and swung by Byrdman's house. 

I drove us to Northern Quest where we dropped in on Caesar's Turf Club Sports Book and wagered a few bucks on a few different teams to win the men's NCAA basketball tournament.

We had a blast. We relaxed in the huge comfortable chairs in the Turf Club, each grabbed a pint of Hop Valley's Bubble Stash IPA, yakked about hoops, watched sports coverage on the huge tv screens in front of us, and, eventually went up to the counter and made our wagers. 

For the record, I will enjoy an increase in income if Texas Tech, Iowa, Villanova, or UConn wins the men's tournament. Ed and I teamed up on the UConn bet and are invested in the Huskies as partners.

2. After relaxing and spending a little money at the Sports Book, I rocketed the Camry out to Bolo's Bar and Grill in Spokane Valley.  Byrdman and I met up with Lars. It was Taco Tuesday at Bolo's and Byrdman and I each ordered the three taco special and enjoyed a pint of No-Li's Big and Juicy IPA. We had a blast yakkin' with Lars about retirement, news in our lives, and Lars' upcoming trip to Portland to join Terry Turner and Glenn Bennett to watch men's NCAA basketball tournament games at the Moda Center on Thursday and Saturday.  

3. Byrdman and I were fired up after yakkin' with Lars. We rolled into CdA and decided to have a last pint at a recently opened joint we'd never tried before. We bellied up to the bar at Stormin' Norman's Shipfaced Saloon on Fourth Street, just north of CdA Avenue. We both enjoyed Stormin' Norman's. Our first impression was pretty awesome because Free's "All Right Now" was playing on the sound system as we walked in and it was all classic vinyl hits throughout our visit. We each ordered a pint of Bodhizafa IPA from Georgetown and slowly enjoyed our beer and yakked more about all kinds of stuff, including some solid discussion of LA Lakers history. Two guys in Stormin' Norman's brought their dogs in the saloon, both awesome, and Byrdman and I yakked for a few minutes with the owners and bid the dogs farewell as we left. 

On my drive back to the Silver Valley, I listened to an interview I'd downloaded featuring Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues and learned a bit of his history pre-Moody Blues. I didn't finish it so it's waiting for me to return to the Camry for another road trip and some more listening. 

No comments: