Sunday, March 6, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-05-2022: Cold Smoke Again, Lo Mein and Fried Rice, *Hard Rain/Slow Trains* and Bob Dylan's *Theme Time Radio Hour*

 1.  Sue D. swung by the house today to knit with Debbie. I didn't knit, but I joined them after she'd been here about an hour and thoroughly enjoyed yakkin' about our upcoming 50 year reunion (July 15-17) and about the political realities of the state of Idaho. 

Sue brought a 4-pack of one of my favorite beers, but it had been so long since I'd drunk one, I had forgotten how much I love KettleHouse Brewing's Cold Smoke Scotch Ale. Lately, Debbie and I have been splitting cans of pretty aggressively hopped Imperial IPAs and the sweeter, more malty, smoother Cold Smoke Scotch Ale was a tasty contrast. It's so fun to enjoy hoppy beers and malty ones, to enjoy nicely balanced beers as well as beers that take pride in not being balanced. For me, it's just fun to enjoy a wide range of beers!

2. Debbie ran an errand and dropped in at the Inland Lounge for some serious yakkin' with Ginger, Ms. Fitz, and Cas and, while there, ordered Seafood Lo Mein and House Fried Rice, brought it home, and it was a great way to eat food that not only tasted good, but that soaked up some of the beer in my system. 

3. I closed out my evening by diving into the archive of Daniel Mackay's podcast Hard Rain and Slow Trains: Bob Dylan and His Fellow Travelers and listened to Episode 137. I loved the concept of this episode -- a concept I now know Dan had carried out twice before. Here's how it goes. From 2006 to 2009, Bob Dylan hosted a weekly one-hour radio show on Sirius/XM radio called Theme Time Radio Hour. I was a subscriber to Sirius/XM back then and I loved listening to Dylan's show -- I don't think I heard every one of them, but I heard quite a few.

Dan decided to create episodes of his podcast based on the musicians Bob Dylan played most often during Theme Time Radio's run. Dan plays Bob Dylan introducing the musicians, but then Dan plays tunes different from what Dylan played on his shows. 

On Episode 137, Dan played a series of musicians who appeared seven times each on Theme Time Radio Hour. I didn't take notes, but I can tell you some of the musicians he played: The Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Everly Brothers, Porter Wagoner, Buck Owens, and others. 

I had a blast, not only listening to the wonderful variety of styles of music, but listening to the Theme Time Radio Hour clips of Bob Dylan introducing these musicians, often clearly expressing his love and admiration for them. 

I remember back when I listened to Theme Time Radio Hour from 2006-09, I was always very impressed with Bob Dylan's eclectic taste and knowledge of music, especially American music. He played early 20th century jazz, Tin Pan Alley songs, country music from various decades, and he also worked literary or philosophical readings into his shows. On Episode 137, Dan played Dylan reading from Jack Kerouac. Dylan's reading was awesome. 

If you'd like to scan the Theme Time Radio Hour archive and maybe listen to some shows, just go here

You can also listen to Daniel Mackay's past shows over the years by going to the archive of Hard Rain and Slow Trains. It's right here

No comments: