Monday, March 7, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-06-2022: Love and Support for Harold Kurt (RIP), ZOOM Time!, *Rain/Trains* and Surreal Bob Dylan

 1. This morning Harold Kurt's wife, Stacy, sent me an email telling me that Harold (KHS '72) had suffered a stroke and died on Thursday, March 3rd. The news was grievous, but as I got the word out to classmates and other current and former Silver Valley residents, the outpouring of love, support, and concern for Stacy, the rest of Harold's family, and his many friends has been moving.

2. Bill, Diane, and I jumped on the ZOOM machine today and we had a rollicking good time talking about one of our favorite movies, The Return of the Secaucus 7 (1979). Back in about 1980-84, I saw this movie countless times. I saw it in movie theaters at least three times and then I recorded myself a Betamax tape of it and watched it at home, alone and with friends, repeatedly. Now, all these years later, I haven't seen it for quite a while, but Bill and Diane told me it's available on AMC's streaming service. I see another viewing in my near future. 

Bill and Diane's love for this movie was strong today, just as it had been in the past -- giving me confidence that I would love it in 2022 just like I did forty years ago. 

It's really fun talking about movies in these ZOOM sessions and, I found out today, it's also really fun to talk about what we won't go cheap on. We all agreed that, when we can, it's worth it to spend a little more for quality food and our conversation added another item to my list: if possible, don't go cheap on house paint! 

3. The other day on Twitter, a post/meme popped up. It was interesting to me as a late newcomer to taking a deeper plunge into the music of Bob Dylan. It went like this: the person who posted has a friend who is a Dylan skeptic, but asked the person posting to consult with his Dylan-hive and have people post three songs that would change the skeptic's mind.  

I don't know Bob Dylan's catalog well enough to play along, but I had fun reading the legion of responses to this challenge. 

I messaged Dan Mackay that this question had been posed on Twitter and he responded with the suggestion that I listen to an episode he put together a couple of years ago on his podcast, Hard Rain and Slow Trains: Bob Dylan and his Fellow Travelers entitled, "An Episode to Play for Your Friends Who Don't Like Bob Dylan But Want To".  This episode aired on September 24, 2020.

It's here

Some nights, I like listening to Dan's podcast as I fall asleep -- even if it means going back the next day and listening to it again while fully awake. 

I'm not quite sure at what point in this terrific episode I fell asleep tonight, but I do know that for the rest of the night my dreams were dominated by surreal Bob Dylan sounds and images, so unusual that I don't have earthly words for them -- ha!



No comments: