Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 03-29-2022: Bagel Morning, Hike on Powell Butte, Dreamin' with Bob Dylan

1. I started today enjoyably by motoring over to Spielman Bagels again, sitting outside, and daydreaming while I ate a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese and sipped on a cup of coffee. 

2. A little bit later, I drove out to Powell Butte about twenty-five minutes east of where we're staying and took a short hike part way up the Cedar Grove Trail. My huffing and puffing on this easy to moderately challenging trail told me that I must return to the trails and walk and hike. If I lived in SE Portland, I'd head out to Powell Butte regularly. The trail I was on today was groomed, wound through stately cedar trees, and was one of a number of trails at this site. 

3. Back home, I plunged into the Bob Dylan world of dreams. I listened once again to the Hard Rain and Slow Trains podcast episode focused on Dylan's song, "Series of Dreams". Sitting in Patrick and Meagan's apartment was a much better environment for my second listen than listening to it in the Camry on the road had been. The song itself started to get inside of me and was present in my own dreams later on when I retired for the night. Once I finished this episode, I turned to the archives of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour and listened to Episode 59. Its theme was Dreams. Bob Dylan's informative yakking about dreams was fascinating and, as always, his song selections were various and fun, ranging from Dinah Washington to Tom Waits, from Charles Mingus to the Loving Spoonful. I must dip into that Theme Time Radio Hour archive more often. It was a blast when I used to listen to that program on Sirius/XM radio, but I didn't hear every episode and it's great stuff. 

No comments: