Sunday, July 3, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 07-02-2022: Back to the Dump!, Stocking Up, Watergate Party (and More)

1. I almost never know what's really going on around me. Well, I did know this today: a big rectangular box with a bed frame in it had arrived at our house on Friday and I knew that once we took the pieces out that we'd have a big cardboard box to recycle and a bunch of packing materials to dispose of.

Somehow, though, I came under the mistaken impression that Paul was going to the dump today.

That turned out not to be the case -- no problem.

I found out from Christy that she had stuff to go the dump and that the bags in her truck bed were from Paul and Carol's house and so I happily volunteered to take that stuff and our big box and bags of packing material to the transfer station.

Christy had piled her refuse and cardboard to be recycled outside the gate on the east side of her house. I added those items to the stuff already in the truck, put some fuel in the truck, and headed to the dump.

The guy who welcomes people to the dump and asks about what we are bringing in is affable, quick to smile, really friendly and since I've made about 185 trips to the dump in the past week or so, he recognizes me, grins broadly, and says, "Household stuff?" before I tell him that's exactly what I have and then I head to the bins and garbage area at the station.

Once again, I felt lighter after dropping off bags of trash, bags of garden waste, cardboard boxes, and a little bit of metal. 

I also managed the heat well.

It was a good trip.

2. I returned Christy's truck and came home.

I wrote out a grocery list of food I need to cook for Carol's July 3rd birthday party.

I picked up those things at Yoke's and then went to the liquor store and decided to not only purchase what I need for Carol's after dinner birthday drink (a Grasshopper), but stocked up on other spirits for life at home.

I had purchased a good amount of oranges, limes, and lemons at Yoke's along with three jars of lemonade. I wanted a variety of spirits at home and looked forward to combining fresh squeezed citrus juice or lemonade with bourbon, gin, or vodka. I also thought having a bottle of brandy on hand would be fun.

3. Fun it was. 

Debbie and I started to party late in the afternoon. I drank small amounts of gin combined with fresh squeezed orange juice. Debbie made different combinations of lemonade, fresh fruit juice, and vodka and later switched to bourbon with fresh fruit juice. 

We made each of our small drinks last a good while. Debbie left at one point and brought home a patty melt, a jumbo burger, and fries from the Humdinger. 

We ate.

And then I started playing Fry and Laurie bits on YouTube, bits we've heard 1,000, 985 times, but that never stop being funny. 

Then, for no good reason, just out of the blue, I put on All the President's Men and, soon, so did Debbie. We weren't in perfect synch between our two laptops, but close, and for the 7,000,435th time we watched this brilliant movie. 

Afterward, we got to talking about character actors and how All the President's Men is jam-packed with great actors playing supporting roles and it's thrilling. Jane Alexander. Valerie Curtin. Jack Warden. Robert Walden. Lindsay Crouse. Martin Balsam. Penny Fuller. Ned Beatty. Polly Holliday. Stephen Collins. Meredith Baxter. 

I didn't name them all. It's invigorating to watch them work.

We talked about Jason Robards and that led to wanting to see the movie A Thousand Clowns and the last time I checked online it was unavailable. Now that has changed and I ordered us a Blu-Ray copy and I am really eager to watch it again and enjoy the thrill of Jason Robards and feel my love again for Barbara Harris (it's on a par with my love for Jane Alexander). 

What a night! 

What a party! 

I capped it off with a Brandy Alexander.

It was a perfect way to get ready to gather Copper and Luna and hit the sack. 


No comments: