Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 07-19-2022: Perfect Volunteer Work, Resting Up, Birthday/Anniversary Family Dinner

1. To be honest, I'm not particularly looking forward to being finished with KHS Class of 72 50 year reunion business. I thoroughly enjoyed the tasks I gladly volunteered for, especially doing my best (and not succeeding 100%) to gather contact information and keeping in touch with classmates about their plans for coming or not and trying to keep everyone informed about how events developed over the weekend.

I really enjoyed keeping track of registrations, making lists, and sending out messages. I didn't have to deal much with money, consistent with my wishes, and I could do almost everything from the quiet of our home. 

It was perfect.

Now, starting yesterday and today, I'm starting to think ahead about next summer's All-Class Reunion.

Its dates are July 21, 22, 23, 2023. I don't know what the All-Class committee has planned yet, but I am certain that many of us who planned our 50th reunion will plan some kind of get together for our class over next summer's all-class reunion weekend. 

So, I'll get the contact info I've gathered organized even better, possibly gather some more information, and I'll be ready to send out notices to our classmates with information about a KHS Class of 1972 gathering during during next summer's All-Class Reunion. 

2. Okay! That said -- and I mean it -- about enjoying doing behind the scenes work on the reunion, today I needed more time to recuperate from the weekend and our HOFGG breakfast on Monday. 

This afternoon, on two different occasions, I slept. 

I enjoyed my rest. Copper and Luna definitely enjoyed my company!

3. Today was Carol and Paul's 36th wedding anniversary and we are just a few days past Zoe's 28th birthday. Several members of Paul's family arrived in Kellogg today: his mom, Pat;  sister, Laurie; brother, Kevin; sister-in-law, Linda; and daughter, Zoe.  Christy, Debbie, and I bolted over to the Roberts' back yard for a birthday/anniversary/family dinner celebration. We joined Carol, Paul, and Molly -- and later Molly's pal, Ryan -- for the party.

Paul grilled burgers and others contributed salads: a fruit salad, crunch Romaine salad, a pasta salad, and a potato salad. We had chips and guacamole and a variety of drinks including pre-mixed margaritas, wine, and soda pop.

The evening was comfortably warm. Conversation was lively as we talked about middle names, the marvels of New York City, and family histories. We told some family history stories and had fun flitting from one topic to the next. 

We enjoyed a time of gift opening accompanied by brownies and Neapolitan ice cream and some pepper jelly syrup. 

I quietly left that gathering at one point. All of the past weekend's activity caught up to me and I went into Carol and Paul's t.v. area and stretched out on an old sofa of Mom's and rested, maybe even slept a bit. I'm so happy that I could quietly leave the party, do what I needed to do, and not raise any alarm (What's wrong with Bill? Where did he go?). Nothing was wrong. I just hit the wall and needed to retreat from the gathering. 


No comments: