Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-04-2023: Sube's New Blood, Simple Delicious Dinner, *Barney Miller*

 1. A freak storm triggered a chaos of wrecks and slide offs and long delays on the 4th of July Pass Monday afternoon and evening, but today I leapt into the Sube and blasted over the hill unimpeded and darted up to the auto shop that services the Sube and got the oil changed. I also found out the Sube needs other fresh fluids and some other attention, so I'll return and have the shop hook up the Sube to a variety of IVs and give it some new blood. 

2. Once I returned home, I launched into the preparation of tonight's HelloFresh dinner. I diced a couple of small tomatoes, peeled and minced two garlic cloves, and mixed Panko bread crumbs and shredded Parmesan cheese in a bowl with olive oil and salt and pepper. 

I turned up the gas underneath olive oil drizzled into a cast iron pan and added a packet of Italian seasoning, a good pinch of chili flakes, and the minced garlic to it. Once fragrant, I added the diced tomatoes and they cooked for a couple or three minutes. To the tomatoes and seasonings I added a packet of tomato paste and cooked it while stirring for about a minute.

I then added a cup of water, a packet of mushroom stock, and two packets of cream cheese to the tomato mixture and cooked it all until the cheese blended in with liquids and this sauce thickened up a bit.

Once the sauce was in good shape, I added the package of cheese tortelloni and once the tortelloni were tender I added 2 Tbsp of butter. Once the butter melted, I covered it all with the Panko/Parmesan mixture and put the cast iron pan under the broiler until the bread crumbs turned golden.

It was a simple process and it resulted in a very tasty One-Pan Trattoria Tortelloni Bake with Crispy Parmesan Panko Topping. 

3. Debbie was bushed tonight. We enjoyed dinner together.  We sat silently in the living room for about an hour, each occupied with our own projects. 

Suddenly, Debbie broke the silence and said she was ready for some television viewing, but wanted to watch something with shorter episodes than Columbo

I suddenly remembered that a couple of days ago Debbie had mentioned it might be fun to watch some Barney Miller and so I fired up the Vizio and put on a couple of episodes.

The second episode we watched further developed the storyline of Barney and his wife, Liz, having decided to separate. One of the strengths of Barney Miller is the way it moves so effortlessly between hilarious situations in the precinct room and moments of poignancy. When all the detectives gathered in Barney's office and urged him to join them at a watering hole for a few beers, the mutual affection between these cops and their captain, Barney Miller, moved me. 

No comments: