Thursday, April 27, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-26-2023: Scaling the Wellness Trail, Eggplant Tomato Pasta Sauce, Monk Goes to a Carnival

 1. I decided today to try taking a major step (ha ha) forward in my walking routine. I attempted to scale the Health and Wellness Trail above the hospital. I took it slow and easy, stopped a few times to recover my breath and drink water, but I'm happy to report that I reached the picnic tables at the end of the trail. Back home, my left foot and both my big toes felt fine. 

My next goal is hike this trail and make it to the picnic tables without stopping, except to hydrate. 

It'll take a while. 

Today was a good start.

2. We had another eggplant in the icebox. 

Tuesday evening, Debbie and I agreed that I'd use that eggplant in a tomato pasta sauce. 

I made it today.

I started by cooking up a chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped stalk of celery, diced sweet pepper, and and the eggplant cubed. When these ingredients were about as soft as I thought they needed to be, I added a can of diced tomatoes, some tomato sauce, a small container of leftover sauce Debbie had made, a dollop of cream cheese, and seasonings, salt, pepper, fennel seed, chili flakes, basil, and oregano. 

The sauce bubbled away and I brought a pot of water to a boil and poured in a package of cheese tortellinis. 

I drained them, put some in Debbie's bowl and mine, covered them with the eggplant sauce, and topped it all with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. 

3. Monk astonished me when he figured out who killed a recently released prisoner on a carnival Ferris wheel. This episode had an emotional subplot featuring an official reinstatement hearing, so not only did I feel tension about the crime Monk was working on, I also felt anxiety for whether Monk would be allowed to become a police officer again. 


No comments: