Sunday, April 23, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-22-2023: Home Improvements, Fooling Around with Rice, The Genius of Perry Mason and Monk

1. Ron D. finished up about four hours, over two days, of home improvement jobs in our house today. We have sliding shelves in our kitchen's lower cupboard, a free spinning Lazy Susan, a new cupboard on the wall in the bathroom, and two doors that close now, after 60 years of not fitting in their doorframes (ha!).  

Later in the evening I looked at recent additions to our house: a dining table with a bench against the wall and a small buffet, coffee table, sofa, and different curtains in the living room. We began transforming the interior of this house when we first moved here in 2017 and I enjoyed seeing how we've continued to do so here in the last several months since Debbie decided to teach full time again. 

The best aspect of this change and these repairs is that we have, at least to my way of thinking, maintained our commitment to minimalism. 

Our house is small, but I think we've managed to keep it feeling roomy. 

I really like that.

2. I fixed a couple salmon burgers with rice and Debbie put together a superb green salad for dinner. I continued my experimenting with rice cooking by melting a hunk of butter in a pot, adding about half an onion, chopped, and seasoning the onion with ginger powder and lemon pepper. I also added the fresh juice of half a lemon. 

Once the butter melted and the onion bits were tender, I not only added the seasoning, I added the uncooked rice to the pot and stirred the rice, butter, onions, and seasonings until the butter coated the rice. I then added the water, brought it to a boil, turned down the heat, put the lid on the pot, and cooked the rice.

I love plain rice, but these experiments of adding flavor and texture to a pot of rice has me stoked. Tonight's pot of rice was delicious and worked perfectly with the salmon and salad. 

3. Somehow, this evening, Perry Mason, with a ton of help from Paul Drake, untangled a tight knot of complications and nailed tonight's murderer on the stand with an interrogation that question by question tightened the guilty man in a vise of truth he couldn't escape. Perry and Paul's collaboration on this case was imaginative, efficient, and, in the end, absolutely effective.

We then turned to the first episode of the first season of Monk

Against all odds and in the face of heavy skepticism from the police he worked with, Monk not only figured out who was guilty in two apparently unconnected cases, he heroically overcame his obsessions with cleanliness in a way I won't give away, but that demonstrated his courage. This episode also featured the persistence, bravery, loyalty, and strength of Monk's nurse, Sharona, despite a major setback in her working relationship with Monk that was both hilarious and, in the end, poignant. 

No comments: