Sunday, April 16, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-15-2023: Giving My Left Foot a Test, Listening to *The Warmth of Other Suns*, Debbie Fixes a Superb Dinner

1. Over the last 6-8 weeks, I've been hampered by pain in my left foot. It began with discomfort along the outside of my foot, along the top of my foot toward the outside, and occasionally on the bottom. Not long after this discomfort struck, my left big toe turned red and swollen.

Well, about last weekend, the pain in my foot seemed to have gone away and my toe has been fine for about two weeks. The entire time I was at the Wildhorse Resort, I had no problems with my left foot. It was a welcome relief.

Today, I decided to give my foot a short workout and walked about 1000 steps or so in our neighborhood. My legs need strengthening. I need to build up my wind. I trust more walking with help both of those situations. My foot didn't hurt. If the weather is good on Sunday, I'll try walking a moderate number of more steps, work my way toward walking up the short hill on the trail to the high school. My hope is to return to hiking the Wellness Trail above the medical center before long.

We'll see. 

My primary concern is that I over extend myself and the foot discomfort and pain returns.

2. Last week at Costco, I purchased a pair of Bluetooth earbuds. I enjoy listening to audiobooks while I walk and today I went back to the beginning of a book I had started about a year ago, The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. Wilkerson chronicles not only the epic migration of African-American people from the southern states to the north and to the west, but he also details the abuses and horrors of the decades of Jim Crow laws. 

3. Debbie cleaned out the refrigerator this morning and, as a result of her efforts, she made a delicious pasta sauce. We invited Christy over for a spaghetti dinner, complimented by a fresh and tasty green salad dressed with vinaigrette made from olive oil, pear balsamic vinegar, and other ingredients. 

I had purchased a bottle of Raspberry Cordial at the Stein distillery in Joseph and the three of us each drank some as our dessert after dinner. 

The cordial was packed with fresh berries and deliciously added sweetness and a touch of tartness to the superb dinner Debbie fixed. 


No comments: