Friday, April 14, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-13-2023: A Relaxing Day, Burgers at the Oregon Trail Cafe, Whiskey and a Brief Heat Check

 1. When we decided to stay three nights at the Wildhorse Resort instead of two, my hope was to be able to slow things down, enjoy some time relaxing by myself. I did that for several hours today. I worked puzzles, including the daily NYTimes puzzle and digging up a previous Sunday puzzle from the online archives. I got caught up on blog posts. I napped. My only regret was that I forgot to pack the book I'd planned to bring. I must remember to do that next year.

2. Around 4 o'clock, Ed, Jake, and I piled into Mike's Camry and bolted up Emigrant Hill and wound our way to Meacham and the Oregon Trail Cafe and Store. I'd been to this place for beers a couple of times, breakfast once, and for fries and a beer last October, but never for dinner. Ed had been here for a burger on another trip and raved about that burger's greatness.

He was right. My burger was perfect: it was perfectly cooked, juicy, on a fresh bun loaded with fresh lettuce, onion, and tomato. The Oregon Trail Cafe's fries are hand cut and delicious. My burger filled me up. The other guys ordered pie for dessert, but I didn't have room for pie. I ordered a single scoop of vanilla ice cream and it perfectly rounded out this meal.

I can now join Ed's raving. The burgers at the Oregon Trail Cafe and Store in Meacham, OR are superb.

3. After resting and letting our dinner settle for an hour so, Mike, Ed, and I piled into Ed's room and each enjoyed a single hit from our bottle of Pendleton 1910 Rye Whiskey. 

I'd had some good luck with the gaming machines before we went to dinner. I decided a heat check was in order to see if some of that good luck was still alive.

It wasn't.

I didn't push it.

After about 15 minutes, I went back to my room and spent some more restful time working the Friday NYTimes Crossword Puzzle. I didn't finish it, but it put me in a great frame of mind for a good night's sleep. 

No comments: