Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-10-2023: Bagel Day at Beach Bum Bakery, Better Black Bean Tacos, Business and Bag Stuffing at KHS

 1. Having high quality bagels on hand boosts my spirits and gives me culinary pleasure, so, since today was bagel day at Beach Bum Bakery, I bought five raisin cinnamon, four sesame, and four plain bagels. Rebekah tried a different method this week as to when she folded the raisins and cinnamon into the dough and asked me to tell her if I thought this week's raisin cinnamon bagels were better than last week's. Well, I immediately fixed myself a raisin cinnamon bagel and I got so lost in the pleasure of the moment eating it that I couldn't answer her question! All I knew was that I loved last week's bagel, loved this week's, and am very happy that on Mondays I can purchase superb raisin cinnamon bagels in Kellogg, along with other styles.

2. The last time our HelloFresh box included black bean tacos, Debbie thought they were all right, but wasn't excited about them. Black bean tacos arrived again today. I gave preparing them another try. I cooked green pepper and onion. When they had softened, I added black beans, southwest spice, Tex Mex paste, and some water. I let this mixture cook for a while. I heated the tortillas on our stove top grill. All I had to do then, was put some filling on each tortilla, top it with smoky red pepper creama, and, just like that, Debbie and I each had three tacos. Debbie liked them a lot more this time around (did I do something different?) and we both enjoyed finishing off the leftover Spanish rice from family dinner with our tacos. 

3. It was a busy and vitally important evening today for the All-Class Reunion Committee. Our meeting at the KHS cafeteria had a huge turnout. We finished some business that needed our attention, and then figured out an assembly line and stuffed 600 cloth bags with different items for each registrant to pick up when they register on Friday or Saturday at KHS. It was fun. At first the process was moderately chaotic, but, in time, the goodwill and intelligence of all the people present prevailed, and we became an assembly line that would make Henry Ford proud. 

The business meeting took about an hour and we completed the bag stuffing in another hour and I think we felt a collective sense of accomplishment and happiness not only that we got so much done, but that the reunion itself is almost upon us and, as far as I can tell, we are ready! 

No comments: