Sunday, July 9, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-08-2023: Zero and More on *Deadish*, Puzzle Day, Simple Pasta

1.  It's been two weeks since I got overheated on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. I'm wary of being in the sun and even more wary of being in the heat. I didn't do it today, but at some point I've got to make myself go out early in the cool air of the morning, before the sun rises very high in the sky, and see about exercising again. 

I stayed inside almost all day today. 

At one point, I went to the KEPW-FM archives and spent over two hours listening to Jeff Harrison's July 6th Deadish show. 

It moved me. 

It transported me back to some of my very favorite times in Eugene, in the 1990s, when I went to hear Zero play at the WOW Hall or the Hilton Ballroom. 

With the Oregon Country Fair happening this weekend out near Veneta, Jeff opened his radio show with Zero selections recorded live in 1995 and 1990. 

For the first time in the over thirty years I've enjoyed Zero, thanks to Jeff, I got to hear tunes from Zero's acoustic set at the Country Fair in 1995. 

It was amazing and Jeff's selections featured one song with saxophonist Martin Fierro (RIP) singing the lead vocal, something else I'd never heard. 

The rest of Jeff's radio show was awesome -- a good dose of the Dead, an "Eyes of the World" cover by  Greensky Bluegrass with Holly Bowling joining them on piano, and a recent performance in Europe of Bob Dylan perform "West L.A. Fadeaway". 

2. While listening to Jeff's show, a playlist of jazz standards, and some Jivin' Johnny Etheridge on Eugene's KRVM-FM, I worked puzzles. I got creamed by a NYTimes Friday puzzle from a book of puzzles I possess, but I completed the Saturday NYTimes puzzle for today and nearly completed the July 9th Sunday puzzle -- it gets posted online early in the evening on Saturday. I also successfully competed an acrostic puzzle from another book of mine I enjoy.

3. Debbie and I kept dinner very simple tonight. I threw together a pretty solid pasta sauce and boiled a batch of bow time pasta and that was it! 

It worked. 

No comments: