Thursday, July 27, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-26-2023: Whitworth Reunion Taking Shape, Spiffing Up, Another Great HelloFresh Meal

1. Arrangements are coming together for Peter, Mark, and me to spend a couple of nights together in Spokane in September. The place we're renting isn't far from Whitworth. It'll be fun to roam around campus and regale each other with stories and memories, but also note how much the old college, now university, has developed over the nearly fifty years since we were students. 

2. I did some sweeping and cleaning around the house today in preparation for tomorrow's visit by a person to give our heating and cooling system an annual check up and maybe some cleaning.

3. I began by chopping a cucumber and putting the pieces in rice vinegar and sugar. I got the cauliflower chopped, drizzled it with oil, and roasted the pieces. I chopped up the green onion, dropped the white part, minced, in hot oil, and once it was fragrant added jasmine rice and water to the pot and cooked the rice. I put oil in the frying pan, heat it up, and cooked the green part of the scallions until they were fragrant and added a mixture of red cabbage and carrot slivers. Once these were tender, I added them to the pot of rice.  In that same pan, I poured out a drizzle of olive oil and cooked the ginger and garlic I had minced earlier for about a minute, added corn starch, soy sauce glaze, apricot jam, sriracha, and water and made a sauce. I added the roasted cauliflower to the sauce, stirred in up until sauce covered the florets. 

I divided the rice/carrot and cabbage mixture between two bowls, added the cauliflower covered with sauce, and topped off the bowl with the pickled cucumbers. 

What a great medley of flavors: garlic, ginger, apricot, soy, and the vinegar-y pleasure of the cucumber pieces. 

This Sweet Heat Vegan Cauli Bowl with Cabbage Carrot Rice and Pickled Cucumbers turned out to one of my favorite of all Hello Fresh meals.

Good thing we rescued the box from Christy's porch! Ha!  

No comments: