Monday, July 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-09-2023: The Who and a Nostalgic Night and Day, Mixing a Martha Stewart Margarita, Mexican Family Dinner

1. So, I had a little shopping to do to get ready for family dinner and, when I blasted the Camry over to Yoke's, I had Classic Vinyl on the satellite radio and suddenly The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" came on and I sat in the parking lot for a while listening to it, and then realized that once I returned home, I could retire to the Vizio room and listen to the entire awesome album, Who's Next. 

And that's what I did. 

For better or worse, it nourished some nostalgia I'd been indulging today. Saturday night I had a long dream about people I studied and taught with at the University of Oregon back around 1984-86. I poked around a little bit online, found out what at least two of those people are up to now, and welcomed warm feelings I had about those people and those days at the U of O. 

Who's Next took me further back to finals week at Whitworth in 1974 and preparing the evening before my Shakespeare exam by listening to Who's Next through headphones and connecting my love of that album with my newfound love of Shakespeare's play.

I realized that I'll never feel that kind of youthful joy and stimulation and pleasure again with either The Who or Shakespeare's plays, and I'll most likely never again see the people from nearly forty year ago who visited me in my dreams Saturday night and my day dreams today.

But reliving those experiences in the world of my dreams filled me with warmth and some longing. 

2. For family dinner, Christy assigned me to mix a Martha Stewart Orange Mint Margarita. 

I began by squeezing the juice out of oranges and limes. I combined these juices with about 8 oz of fresh mint leaves from Carol's garden and I did my best to muddle them. (I'm not a confident muddler!)

I poured the muddled lime, orange, and mint mixture into our carafe and added tequila and Cointreau.

Over at Carol's, with Molly's help, I salted the rims of chilled glasses. Molly put ice in the glasses. I poured some margarita into each glass and garnished them all with an orange slice. 

If I had to do it over, I'd cut back a bit on the lime, try to increase the presence of the mint, and, well, increase the amount of tequila a bit. I just didn't think the proportions of the drink I made today were quite right, not quite the way I wanted them to be.

But (thank goodness), the on site reviews were positive! 

3. Christy, Carol, Paul, Debbie, Brian, Molly, Pat (Paul's mom), and I sat around a table on Carol and Paul's patio, under the cover of a translucent tarp (there must be a better word) stretched over us.

We enjoyed a mild, not spicy, Mexican dinner. 

We started with chips and a broiled vegetable salsa that Carol made and then dug into Christy's green enchiladas, made green by spinach and green chilis, and Debbie's Spanish rice. We also enjoyed pieces of watermelon and cantaloupe. The recipes all came from Martha Stewart, as did the Mexican pound cake Christy baked for dessert, served with a scoop of Espresso Madness ice cream. 

Our dinner was delicious and we talked about all sorts of things, including some Kellogg public school history as reported by Pat and a discussion of motels on old Highway 10 including the Turnbow's motel, the Trail, Rock, and Sunshine Inn. This all came up because Pat graduated with Mickey Turnbow and I recalled saying one of the stupidest things I ever said in my life at a Turnbow Christmas Eve party at Bob and Sis's motel when I responded to Mickey Turnbow raving about Julius Erving by arrogantly proclaiming that I didn't think he'd ever make it in the NBA, that he was just a star in the "undisciplined" ABA. 

I was a little bit off in my drunken 18-19 year old analysis! 

No comments: