Saturday, July 22, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-21-2023: Class of 72 at the Carlsons', Two Fun Conversations, Home to Stay

1. I'd say the number of people at the Carlsons' property was about forty. As a part of the KHS All-Class Reunion, our class, the Class of 1972, met near the Coeur d'Alene River just outside Pinehurst. It was a hot day and we all gravitated either to the shade underneath a good-sized tree on the Carlsons' property or sat in chairs in the river. I was concerned about my tolerance of the heat, but by staying in the shade and thanks to a frequent breeze, I never became overheated and found the afternoon both enjoyable and relaxing. 

2. I enjoyed every conversation. Two, however, were especially memorable. I had no recollection of ever knowing that a couple or three years after we graduated, Robin Lytle hitchhiked across the USA and into Canada. In telling some of us about it, Robin stressed how many good and generous people he met, both in small towns and in urban centers. I was really happy that this was his experience. His tales brought to mind the many experiences I've had in London, New York City, Washington D.C., Portland, Seattle, and other cities where strangers I encountered were, with only a few exceptions,  friendly, helpful, and kind. This has been true for me on subway trains, in museums, bars and breweries, parks, in churches, and at the theater, to name a few.  

Also fun was my conversation with Kenton Bird about his book, Tom Foley: A Man in the Middle.  I enjoyed asking him a few questions about the book and how he and co-author John C. Pierce divided the labor of writing it. I hope I can get away and attend one of Kenton's presentations on his book -- maybe in Moscow or, I don't know, how about Spokane?

3. I arrived home from our party around 5:30 or so with every intention of going back out to listen to tonight's band at Teeters Field. 

I just couldn't do it. 

I was tired after an afternoon of socializing and it felt really comfortable to be in the cozy confines of our little house. 

In addition, I volunteered to go to Teeters Field at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning to help set up tables and chairs for Saturday night's barbecue and afterward I would be going to the Elks for breakfast and then up to Diane's to help prepare our entry in the reunion parade. 

I thought it best to rest up for what was going to be both an early day and a busy one. 

No comments: