Sunday, July 30, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-29-2023: Debbie Lands in Newark, Success at Costco, Remembering Brown Ales

 1. Debbie was originally scheduled to fly out of Spokane at 5:30 a.m. and arrive in Newark in the afternoon. Delta cancelled the 5:30 flight. The new flight was scheduled for 11:55. It got delayed. Debbie made it to Minneapolis in time to have her connecting flight to Newark delayed 90 minutes. It's a relief she arrived in Newark, but to get there she waited out about nine hours of cancellations and delays. Long day. 

2. We are having family dinner on Sunday this week and will have nine people at the table. Christy is in charge and decided we'd have salmon and asked me to buy some at Costco. So, I blasted over to CdA and had a very pleasant trip to Costco, picking up salmon, a few things for Carol and Paul, and a few staples for Debbie and me. 

3. I put a cooler with ice in the Camry so I could keep the fish and dairy products cold in case I decided to stop in at Bottle Joy after shopping.

I stopped in at Bottle Joy. Ha! I enjoyed a Hazy IPA from Modern Times Brewing and followed it up with a half pour of Mammoth Double Nut Brown Ale. The Hazy IPA was soft, peachy, delicious and the Nut Brown Ale was a treat. In my opinion, Brown Ales are underappreciated. I loved the contrast between my beers as I moved from the juicy and hoppy IPA to a malty, nutty, much sweeter Nut Brown Ale with pleasant notes of chocolate and coffee. Back in about 1996, when I dove into the world of USA craft beer, Brown Ales were fairly popular but have ceased to be a common or regular offering in most tap rooms. Today, I loved the experience, not only of drinking this particular ale, but also how it transported me back over twenty-five years (well, forty-four years -- when I last drank Brown Ale in England) to those heady and cool autumn evenings at McMenamin's High Street Pub in Eugene when the Brown Ale tasted especially good. 

No comments: