Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-25-2023: Luna Is In Good Shape, Luna's Labs Look Splendid, Loaded Slices of Toast for Dinner

1. Several weeks ago, I began giving Luna pills for her thyroid. She and I are now at peace about me putting a pill in the back of her mouth twice a day. I'm happy we reached this accord. It's made the process much easier.

Today, I took Luna to see the veterinarian for a follow up exam and some blood work. Luna has a heart murmur and it sounded the same today as it has before. Otherwise, Luna's health is sound. It was especially good news that she had gained some weight thanks to the thyroid medicine.

2. Later in the afternoon, Dr. Cook called me with superb news. The medicine has brought Luna's thyroid number back into range. Sometimes an overactive thyroid masks kidney problems. Luna's kidney numbers look good. Sometimes the thyroid medicine can compromise a cat's liver -- but, not Luna's. 

Unless something happens that concerns me, Luna's next follow up will be in six months.

3. With our Hello Fresh box rescued (ha ha) from Christy's front porch, today I dove into one of our bags and prepared Debbie and me Charred Tomato & Ricotta Toasts with Walnuts, Chili Flakes, and Balsamic Glaze.

I had fun preparing it. 

To start, I minced a garlic and halved a package of grape tomatoes, put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and drizzled them generously with olive oil -- and seasoned them with salt and pepper. These went in the oven (450 degrees) for about ten minutes.

In the meantime, I clipped the leaves off of stems of Italian parsley. I scooped ricotta cheese into a small bowl, added the parsley, some Parmesan cheese, and chili flakes. Then I put minced garlic in another small bowl with olive oil 

When the tomato halves and minced garlic were charred, I put them in a bowl. I had put the olive oil and garlic mixture on two slices of sourdough bread so they were ready to put on the baking sheet and toast for about five minutes at which time I added chopped walnuts to the sheet and roasted them (a little too long) for about three minutes (two would have been better).

I put each slice of toast on a plate, covered them with the ricotta cheese mixture, topped the cheese with charred tomato halves and garlic, Parmesan cheese, and walnuts. On top of these things I added more parsley, a smattering of chili flakes, and streaks of balsamic glaze.

Debbie and I both enjoyed these loaded slices of toast for their flavor and various textures.  

No comments: