Saturday, July 15, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 07-14-2023: Time for Labs Again, Feeling Spent, Debbie's Superb Chicken Salad

1. Whether I'm correct or not, I've come to believe that when I have bloodwork done, my numbers will be better if I'm well hydrated when I arrive at LabCorp. Today was (yet another) blood draw day and I prepared by drinking steadily from my water bottle, filling it up when empty, and continuing to hydrate. Things went well at the lab and now, as happens every three months, I feel low levels of anxiety about what this test's numbers will reveal, especially after having to slow down my exercising after getting overheated. 

2. Even though the blood draw was routine and even though the phlebtomist was very easy to work with, I arrived home feeling spent afterward. I know why. Unlike most times when it's time to have blood drawn and to see Dr. Bieber, this time I'm more anxious about it and anxiety makes me tired. I slept quite a bit this afternoon and on into the evening. I went to be early. I'm hoping this anxiety calms down after a good night's sleep and once my bloodwork results get posted. But, it would be foolish for me to deny it. I am uncertain as to whether my condition is remaining stable and that uncertainty drained me today.

(As I write this, it's Saturday morning. I just got my blood work results. My renal panel is not much different from three months ago. My GFR remains at 17 -- very encouraging.  A few results are out of range and I'll discuss these numbers on Thursday with Dr. Bieber.)

3. I dealt with feeling run down by working several crossword puzzles and by enjoying the superb chicken salad Debbie made. The salad was oil and lemon based (no mayo), making it light and refreshing, as did the combination of fresh tomatoes and basil. I especially enjoyed the texture of the salad's orzo. Orzo is a pasta shaped like a large grain of rice and, unlike bows or penne or rotini, its presence is not dominant, but subtle and, in this salad, it gave way to the other ingredients, allowing them to express themselves more fully.   

No comments: