Friday, September 1, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-31-2023: Kitchen Rearranged, Helping Carol and Paul, Improvised Dinner

1. Our new kitchen knife set arrived today and so I leaped into action reconfiguring our little kitchen. I filled the sink with warm soapy water and washed our new cookware and the new knives. I figured out which of our kitchenware pieces can stay in our kitchen and which will be in the basement. It's all good. I think, for now, things are pretty well settled again. Next it's a matter of cutting, dicing, slicing, boiling, frying, sautéing, blending, grating, well, in short, cooking! 

2. Carol, Paul, Molly, Zoe, Jason, Cosette, Taylor,  Saphire, and four family dogs will descend upon Rockaway Beach in Oregon for the Labor Day weekend. Today, I dropped in at Carol and Paul's house and they told me what they needed me to do at their house with cats, rabbits, wine, pumpkins, flower pots, lights, locks, and other details while they're gone.

I think I got it! 

3. Debbie came home from school for a short time this afternoon and then headed back to Pinehurst Elementary for a school open house, starting at five o'clock.

I decided to draw upon things I've learned from cooking HelloFresh dishes and improvised a dinner for myself.

To start, I put a pot of salt water on to boil so I could cook a batch of rigatoni. I heated up some olive oil in the cast iron pan and cooked a couple of chopped tomatoes until tender. To the tomatoes, I added a can of drained black beans and, as they heated, I added a dollop of sour cream, pasta water, some cream cheese, and a small chunk of butter. I seasoned this mixture with cumin, garlic powder, and umami and, when the pasta was cooked, added it to the beans and tomatoes.  I further seasoned my dinner with some ground red pepper for heat and, having put my meal in a bowl, I squeezed lemon juice over the top along with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. 

It worked!

No comments: