Sunday, September 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 09-09-2023: A Perfect Walk, A Great Bowl of Pasta, Remembering When I Enjoyed Football

 1. I experienced it as the perfect walk. No, it wasn't terribly long, but walking from our house to Kellogg High School and back again afforded me some uphill walking, just the right distance for the shape my legs are in right now, and a way to build more strength in my legs. I set out around 5 o'clock and much of The Trail to the high school was shaded. Being out of the sun energized me. 

2. Debbie told me she had an idea for dinner tonight and it was superb. She boiled a pot of penne pasta, drained it, and added fresh garden tomatoes chopped up, smoked clams, garlic, oil, chili flakes, and I'm not sure what else. Her creation was delicious, comforting, and satisfying -- and we have leftovers. 

3. I experienced an odd twinge of nostalgia today. About ten years ago, I lost interest in college (and professional) football (and not because of any current changes) and quit watching it. I read up a little bit on what's happening so that I know what other people are talking about if the topic comes up. Today, I felt some very low grade grief that I no longer feel excitement in September that I used to feel for start of the football season. Today would have been a fun day to feel that excitement. Oregon won. WSU won. Idaho won. I miss the old excitement, but it's just not in me any more in the present. Fortunately, a lot of fun and fond memories are still in me! 

No comments: