Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 09-19-2023: Planning an Overnight Trip to Spokane, A Longer Walk, Very Tasty Vegan Curry

1. Back when I was planning to spend Thursday and Friday nights in Spokane with Mark and Peter, I was wondering if I could shoehorn in a viewing of the re-release of the Talking Heads concert movie, Stop Making Sense at AMC River Park Square in an IMAX theater. 

Today I decided, now that Mark and Peter can't come to Spokane, to spend Friday night in Spokane and go to Stop Making Sense on Saturday afternoon. 

So, I've rented an apartment for the night, bought a movie ticket, decided where to eat, and have made a list of a few things I might shop for. 

I've also left room for some serendipity in case something fun comes up in Spokane that I hadn't planned on.

2. I took advantage of the cooler weather and overcast sky this afternoon by taking my longest walk yet of the late summer. I'm encouraged by feeling strength return gradually to my legs and by the improvement in my wind. Today I walked to the high school on The Trail, then cut over to Jacobs Gulch Road and walked to the Shoshone Medical Center where I went up the stairs leading to the Health and Wellness Trail and walked on home by way of the last leg of The Trail and through our neighborhood.

I've worked my way up to about 3500 steps -- not an earth shattering number, but an encouraging number for me.

3. Debbie and I have two HelloFresh meals a week. Tonight, for the first time, HelloFresh sent us the ingredients for a vegan curry. I love making curry with curry paste. Tonight I made a curry with a packet of HelloFresh curry powder. It was a lot of fun.

All I had to do was boil noodles, run cold water over them, drizzle some sesame oil over them, and let them sit in the drainer for a while.

In the pot I'd used to boil the noodles, I cooked sliced mushrooms and sliced red pepper.

I added a bit more oil to the pot along with minced garlic, and, after it cooked about a minute, I added chili sauce, stock concentrate, curry powder, and coconut milk. Once I combined these ingredients, I stirred in the noodles, a dash of sugar, and splashes of the rest of the coconut milk. I removed the pot from the burner and added the juice of a lime.

I divided what was in the pot between two bowls and topped each serving with crushed peanuts and chopped cilantro. 

I have great news about his curry. 

It worked! 

No comments: