Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 09-11-2023: Uptown Walking, Oregon Beers, Grilled Chicken Family Dinner

 1. There's this spot near Kellogg Lumber where the Trail of the CdAs has a branch trail that goes uphill toward uptown Kellogg. Since I'm trying to get my legs and hips accustomed to walking again and trying to build up my wind, I wondered how it would go if I parked the Sube down by The Beanery, walked east on the trail, went up that branch trail toward town, and then walked back to the car via McKinley and down Hill Street. 

On this overcast day, with no direct sunshine, this walk went really well. When I arrived near where I parked the car, I kept walking to the Bunker Ave side of the Furniture Exchange and stopped by Beach Bum Bakery's mobile shack and picked up the half a dozen bagels I ordered a couple of hours earlier.  

I think the mild discomfort I felt in my legs and hips came from the fact that I'm reversing some atrophy. I'm hoping as the weather continues to cool down and as I have more days free of direct sunlight that I'll continue to increase my number of steps and get my lower body used to moving again. 

2. When Debbie and I arrived at Carol and Paul's for family dinner, Carol gave me four cans of beer she and Paul bought for me in Hood River. These were thank you beers for when I kept an eye on their place when they went to Rockaway Beach, OR. 

Two of the beers are from Corvallis, Oregon's mighty Block 15, including their majestic hop bomb IPA, Sticky Hands. The other two are from Freebridge Brewing in The Dalles and they will be the first beers I've ever drunk from that operation.

3. Our family dinner tonight was another superb meal. 

Carol started us off with an Apple Cider Moscow Mule, a very tasty and refreshing drink.

She also set out a tray of her homemade pickles along with slices of two superb cheddar cheeses as an appetizer. 

Paul grilled boneless chicken thighs and drumsticks for the main course, accompanied by Christy's potato salad (which featured more of Carol's pickles),  Debbie's minty, lime-y fruit salad, one of the best fruit salads I've ever eaten, and sweet delicious corn on the cob.  For dessert, Carol served up her Chocolate Zucchini Cake, which I've heard called famous. If it is famous, its fame is appropriate. It was a great dessert. 

Our dinner had a low key disco music theme. Christy, Paul, Carol, and Molly all were at Saturday's Silver Valley Chamber event in Wallace called Disco Murder Mystery. All through the evening tonight, disco music played in the background and we heard a handful of stories from Saturday night's gala.

We also talked quite a bit about our local schools and listened to Debbie talk a bit about her first week back teaching at Pinehurst Elementary School. All in all, Debbie is off to a good start, and, as always, she faces different challenges whether presented by her students, parents, or the school system itself. There's no way around having these different challenges crop up. 

No comments: