Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 09-12-2023: Care for the Camry, Street Paving, Block 15 Beers Rock

1. I made a quick trip to Parker Toyota in CdA today to have the Camry serviced. Talking with the service guy after the car had been inspected and the tires rotated, I learned more than I ever had known about the life span of synthetic oil and found out when the Camry will be due for its next big service job. I left happy that the Camry is in such good shape and happy to be enlightened about caring for our car. 

2. I drove straight home from Parker Toyota. When I arrived in Kellogg, the big day I've been anticipating for a few weeks had arrived. A crew was paving the street (Little Cameron) in front of our house. Yes, okay, it was a minor inconvenience not be able use our driveway and to have to park on a side street near our house, but very minor. I've never quite known the last couple of weeks or so exactly what day Little Cameron was scheduled to be paved and it's good to have that done.   

3. Debbie arrived home and barely settled into her spot on the sofa when I said, "Sticky Hands?"

"God, yes!"

So I cracked open the can of Block 15's Sticky Hands 2IPA and poured us each a glass of it. Suddenly Debbie and I were having a party, our favorite kind, splitting a can of beer that we not only enjoy tasting, but that has great memories locked up in it. The Sixteen Tons Cafe in Eugene seemed to always have Sticky Hands on tap and I indulged not only this beer's array of flavors and the bite of bitterness at the finish, but also time traveled back to the many great times I had in Eugene exploring beers and having great conversations with other beer hounds. 

Carol and Paul gave us a second beer from Corvallis's mighty Block 15. It's called Deep Seek and neither of us had heard of it, let alone drunk it, before. Deep Seek not as aggressive as Sticky Hands. Its ABV is lower and its hop profile is simpler. I enjoy Hazy IPAs a lot and, at the same time, I really enjoy going back to the pre-hazy days and diving into a classic West Coast IPA. Deep Seek is just that. If I had to do it over again, I would start with the Deep Seek and then drink the Sticky Hands second. My taste buds were delightfully overwhelmed by Sticky Hands. But, I enjoyed Deep Seek. I'd drink it again -- and, if I do, I'll make sure it's the first (or only) beer I drink while having a session. 

I won't go into detail, but I fixed HelloFresh's chickpea salad sandwiches with a side of roasted potato  wedges for Debbie and me.

It worked! 

No comments: